Worn brushes

Home Page Forums Engine Worn brushes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello everyone,

I have developed a wobbling sound from my 1932 V-12.  I suspect it may be the generator brushes are worn and need replacing.  My questions(s) are:  is this the cause of the vibration?…and, if so, how difficult a job is it to replace them?…and who has these brushes available?…

Curtis,

The first thing you should check are the bolt tightness on the drive couplings shown in the picture.  The lockwasher on the foreground bolt on the left disk is not compressed indicating that that bolt is not tight. Also make sure the bolt holes aren’t wallowed out. If the coupling disks are deteriorated, they may need replacing. I am not aware of anywhere that sells then, but they can be made. I believe the material is available from supply companies like McMaster-Carr. Someone else may know of a source of pre-made ones.

As far as the brushes are concerned, I don’t know why worn brushes would cause a wobble.  I have not changed brushes on a 12 cyl generator, but on most generators it is not too difficult.  I’ll let someone else with more experience speak to that.

Dave

Curtis,

I believe that John Cislak sells the fiber disks for connecting the fan, to the generator, to the water pump, etc.

Peter

To David and Peter,

Thank you very much for the information. David, you were spot on in your observations, the bolts were loose, I tightened them up and it seemed to correct the problem.  Peter, I may be contacting John in the near future for new material.

Thank you both,

Curtiss

Glad it helped.

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.