Worm drive 1933 rear end gears (836/1236)

Home Page Forums Chassis Worm drive 1933 rear end gears (836/1236)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

(I am reposting this message with a corrected email address for George Holman)

-Bob J.

Hi Guys,

I received this message from the Stutz Club. Perhaps it is not too late to contact George Holman if you would liike to tag along on his gear project. The Stutz and Pierce Timken worm gear sets are interchangeable. I have the Timken drawings. The Stutz ratio may be different. The Pierce ratio is 4.29.

Timken made these gears from 2.78 thru 4.57, all on the same drawing. :

Hi [Stutz club Members],

Please get the word out that I will be making a run of new gears for the 8 cylinder Stutz.

The price will be $3800 per set of one gear and one worm. If we can get five preorders the price will be less.

I have commitments for 3 sets now. The order deadline is December 31st. Please call George Holman @ 413 537 28 23 or e-mail [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]].

Thanks

George

This is a great lead if some has a bad worm gear and wants to preserve that original drive train, or doesn’t want to covert to the newer style 34 rear.

Thank you Robert!

Good to know. Right now my ’33 1236 is fine, but this is good info.

I have ordered one for a Stutz. George is a lifelong friend and the person who introduced me to CCCA Classic Cars. Yup, it’s his fault I’m here……….he is a fantastic engineer, and you can be certain his parts are perfect. George was also instrumental in helping with the Pierce/Stutz Gemmer steering box project that was done ten years ago. Without him it would have never been done. Ed

By the way……there are handful of orders, the project is a go, and they will be done by March first. Don’t delay, the project WILL NOT BE DONE AGAIN!

Has the gear ratio been decided ?? I’d not want to stay with the 836’s 4.29:1 ratio.

Does anyone know what ratio these will be ?

Greg Long

I have reached out to Mr Holman and asked him if he can confirm that his project will fit PA and the ratio he’s making.

He responded by email that he’s looking into the first question and will get back. I will post what I learn.

As I stated previously, I have the drawings, and if George makes the sets according to the drawings (don’t know, asked him if he had drawings or wanted a copy, no reply as yet), they will fit Pierce.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob, we know your info on compatibility is right on. I was asking George to confirm we was making a piece unmodified/consistent with your interchangeable Timken plans. I hope to get his reply soon. If you hear back, please share.

Again, thanks for posting about this project!

John

3.80 is what is being made. If any PAS members are intrested, contact me first before calling George. Thanks, Ed

Time is short, delivery is less than eight weeks away. Ed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.