Wire wheel flaps (1936 1601)

Home Page Forums General Wire wheel flaps (1936 1601)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

During the past 10 years and 6,000 miles, we’ve “enjoyed” 6 roadside flats on our ’36 1601 with wire wheels and Coker flaps & Coker tires and recently with (made in USA) Firestone 700/750 x 16 radial pickup truck inner tubes.

I believe the Coker flaps to be the problem; they’re too wide and too thick for the wire wheel.  Concurrently, we have also used high-temperature 10 mil. HVAC tape to hold the flaps in place inside the wheel.  Upon post-flat demount inspection, the too wide/too thick flap(s) have shifted inside the wheel causing the HVAC tape to bunch-up with rough edges which eventually rubs a hole in the inner tube.

Question for this group:  1. Are thinner, narrower flaps available and if so, from whom?  2. Are flaps even necessary inside these wire wheels?  (Our ’36’s wire wheels are finished inside with a thick covering over the spokes in the hub; there are no sharp or rough edges.)  3. Would a few laps of high-temperature 10 mil. HVAC tape around the inside of the wheel suffice in lieu of flaps?

Thank you for any and all recommendations,

Stu Blair, Cincinnati, Ohio

Stu,

Talk to Greg Long.  I believe he has been using the tape that is used for wrapping underground gas lines in place of the flaps with success. The tape I have is PVC and 20 mil.

Dave

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.