When did Pierce Arror acquire hydraulic brakes?

Home Page Forums Chassis When did Pierce Arror acquire hydraulic brakes?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

As the subject says, I’m curious as to when Pierce Arrow got hydraulic brakes.

You might know that other cars of the price class got hydraulic brakes rather late. Senior Packards first got them for 1937. General Motors cars in the mid-30’s and Lincoln, I think, in 1939 (but that’s Henry’s legacy).

Scott, they never did. In 37 PA produced a few hundred cars and 38 was under 50. The company was indeed winding down.

Well, I guess that’s why I couldn’t remember when they did get hydraulics !

For some reason, I thought the 1936 model year did but I coudln’t find a reputable reference.

Thanks !

The 1936 car had a vacuum power braking system that was very different from 1935, it performs almost as modern brakes.

In the Arrow 2-3 years back, Roger Sherman wrote a great article on the evolution of the 33-35, 36-38 cars and the engineering decisions in those final years. I recommend reading it if you’ve not seen it already!

John

Manufacturers like Chrysler had hydraulic brakes in the 20’s.

Did PMAC not use hydraulic brakes due to reliability issues or due to maintenance issues with early hydraulic systems?

Good question on why Packard waited so long. The Packard 120’s which came out as early as 1935 had hydraulics.

Perhaps it was a general philosophy of not using a technology unless it was thoroughly proven to be safe and reliable and better than what was currently used. Packard mechanical brakes really are very good when adjusted properly. It’s easy to see why there was no pressing need for a new brake system. But after other similar-class cars went that route it was becoming an embarrassment that Packard did not.

Myself, I don’t like hydraulic brakes. Calipers rust, brake lines rust, hydraulic fluid needs to be changed. . . And one little leak then all four brakes fail. Even on my 2004 Toyota truck, I’ve had brake problems that I would never have had if they were mechanical.

Written on my kerosene-powered computer. . .

— Luke

There is one Pierce-Arrow with four wheel hydraulic brakes. This was a facotry experimental 1918 Model 66-A-5 seven passenger touring which is now in the Nethercutt Collection.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.