Website topics…

Home Page Forums General Website topics…

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I agree with Herb Tulls suggestions as well as Bob Jacobsen’s.

There are several suggestions regarding Member and Guest access pages.  All have merit.

Greg Long

One more little thing:

I realize most of us by now have come to recognize the little box with 3 lines in it as the “menu” to click on to get to where you want, but it is not intuitive to infrequent users.

Why not just have a box that says “Menu”?

Happy New Year

My praise to those who edit the coding and attempt to make the site accessible to all of us in the best possible form. Like Adam S., I’m also a newcomer to the Pierce Society. My skills aren’t so much aligned with the digital realm, though I hold my own…would rather wield a wrench though!

Thought it might also be worth revisiting the past PAS sites to offer some compares, and through a few clicks some information that may have been “lost” in the updates. (If only we could dumpster-dive, in real-time, the Pierce-Arrow records that had been carted away from the administration office in 1938!)

So, many of you are probably familiar with the Wayback Machine through the Internet Archive site. Basically, enter a search-term related to the previous site, or the web address if it’s possible. The site shows “snapshots” of the previous site as it appeared in a given month/year. Click on a specific year and then a circled date/time.  (Seems there was a lot of activity on the old PAS site in 2006, for example…).

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000000*/https://pierce-arrow.org/

The website committee has been meeting several times via zoom now, and are considering these, and other changes to the website.

These changes will be presented at the PAS Winter Board meeting.

Please continue to let us know of any suggestions, changes, or ideas you may have for this site.

Curtiss

When creating a book, my printer would make sample pages using different typefaces. Many of the staff there were typofiles, so knew the nuances in using different designs, among them noting that Pierce-Arrow used a vintage typeface, Garamond, for the Series 80 brochures. So I thought seeing the clarity and emphasis differences in three typefaces they tested – Gil Sans (sans serif), with Palatino and Benguiat (serif style) – might add to the discussions to make the website more attractive and user-friendly.

When Pierce-Arrow was in business, Ernest Calkins, who headed Pierce’s advertising agency, wrote a book, The Business of Advertising. It discusses and illustrates making points in print, in a way building on typeface issues. The artwork in the book includes both Pierce and non-Pierce illustrations.

I hope this helps

Brooks

I forgot to attach the typeface samples. Here they are, also reminding to ask why the website insists attachments be angled.  scanned documents

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.