water pump rebuilding

Home Page Forums General water pump rebuilding

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey Guys! Just got home from a wonderful road trip. I drove my 32 EDL (restored by Enrico Bracato) from Monroe,LA to Gilmore Gathering and back again. It was a little "toasty" between Monroe and St.Lewis (both ways) so I won’t get Jane to do this again soon. The car preformed well except for a leaking water pump on the return trip. Taking it down last night I find there is more shaft play (wobble)in the bushing than I would like. Have these parts been reproduced? Are any rebuild kits available anywhere? Have I not heard that some are putting a bearing on the shaft? Any help appreciated. All I know for sure is that attempting to repack a Pierce water pump on roadside (like we do for Model A Ford) is not a solution! Let me also plug Gathering at Gilmore. Diana and Dave Stevens do a fantastic job of the event. I hope to never miss another.

Merlin: If you are unable to find anyone capable close by, email me. Bob Sands and I have one of the most brilliant technicians alive. You could send it to me and I could give it to him. Tony

Tony: thanks for sharing your resources. I’ll let you know if "running my traps" are successful or not…Merlin

Our member and my good friend of more than 30 years, Jerry Washburn of San Pablo, California, is a retired Master Machinist who specializes in re-engineering pre-war water pumps for better performance. He machines the interior of the pump body to permit the use of modern seals, and he uses sealed bearings instead of bushings. There is no more packing to tighten or replace, and the grease cup is then strictly decorative. You may have seen his ads in Skinned Knuckles.

Jerry has done four Pierce pumps and one Paige pump for me. Three of those were done over ten years ago and have performed beautifully.

His shop number is (510)724-5774 and is good Mon-Thurs 10AM – 3 PM Pacific Time. After hours/weekends, he’s at (510)235-2239. You can leave a message ONLY on the after hours number.

He offers a lifetime guarantee, but cautions that it’s HIS lifetime :-)

George

Thank You George! I’ll send mine to him…Merlin

I had my water pump rebuilt by Jerry Washburn last year with sealed silicone units. A beautiful job, and the price was reasonable. No grease in the water to clog the radiator, no air in the system to cause foam, no maintainance, no noise, and lots of peace of mind. No judge will ever know its not authentic (except for Teabay and Jacobsen, who also employed Jerry)!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.