Update on 37

Home Page Forums General Update on 37

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Close to firing it up now that I’ve finely got my wife’s 63 imperial done happy Wife happy life so they say but we won’t go there.

Eric, Great! Please post a few photos, too.

Stu

Hi Eric, we are looking forward to seeing the ’37 in Lancaster next summer !!

Glad to hear you are making progress !

Greg Long

Working on oil cooler next

Wish I could retire this job is getting in the way of my car hobby,

Eric,

Very glad to see things progressing. You will love driving this car, so don’t let up.

A wise older friend once told me that if I wanted to accomplish a lot to do it BEFORE I retired. I didn’t believe him, but found out he was correct. Once the discipline of a work schedule goes away there will be so many things to do you”’ be really busy. The other problem is often thinking ” there’s always tomorrow!”””

Congrats on your progress Eric. Once you get everything done, you’ll find you just have thirty more things to finish off!

Congrats on your progress Eric. Once you get everything done, you’ll find you just have thirty more things to finish off!

Makeing more progress

Hi Eric. Regarding the oil cooler on the ’33 and later Pierce engines; with today’s multi-viscosity motor oils, the oil cooler is not needed like it was in the ’30’s with only single viscosity oil.

Since the oil pressure often can be very high when the engine is first started, the oil cooler often will spring leak. The oil is forced into the coolant and then the oil coats the surfaces inside the engine, and inside the radiator. This makes heat-transfer from the engine to the coolant and the coolant to the radiator surfaces MUCH less efficient. The result is an overheating engine..

Many of us make a tube with the correct shape and size flanges, to match the gaskets and oil line-flanges. This tube goes from inlet straight across to the outlet inside he oil cooler. the original radiator-core type heat exchanger is removed..

The oil is piped from side to side, with NO chance of a leak contaminating the coolant..

I would highly suggest making such a tube to internally by-pass the oil cooler/heat exchanger..

Greg Long

Me too. Learned the hard way

I have the original oil cooler but it all ready has the bypass installed I think I will take your advise and leave it alone thanks everyone . Now where can I get a fule sending unit?

Eric,

Call John Cislak; best time to reach him is noon.

Good luck, Stu

When Bill Morris and Scott Statsny were going over my car they bypassed the oil cooler too. I have a ’33 1236.

Hi Eric, for your fuel level sending unit in the gas tank, I’d remove it and clean it. Often the wire-wound resistor is coated in dried-gasoline gum and varnish.. and the ‘wiper’ cannot make electrical contact through the varnish. Look it over for broken wires, and check it will an ohmmeter for continuity.

If it is bad, and un-repairable. see if you can get a resistance reading from the wire-wound resistor.

Then look online for ’50’s and ’60’s fuel tank gauge float assemblies. Find something that looks like you can use to retrofit to the Pierce Tank gauge sender.

Best of luck.

Greg Long

Really is beautiful to see the job you are doing to bring this grand old lady back to operation, and keeping it in the Club.

Thank You!

Dave

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.