Tire tubes problems

Home Page Forums Chassis Tire tubes problems

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Greg,

I noticed you had both 10 and 20 Mil tape, is that preferred or can you use either or?

Looks like the 10 is for the sides and 20 for the center?

Bill

Stuart: If you don’t want to keep all those tubes, I would gladly purchase four of them.

Hi Tony,

Bill Lyons bought the 5 “extra” tubes from me earlier this week.

The drop shipment directly from Firestone arrived today.

GCR Tire (phone # posted above) was sure easy to deal with, why not give them a call?

Regards, Stu

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for all the work and posting the information about the Firestone tubes on the PAS forum. I am willing to call GCR tire and order a set of 10 (minimum), but I would like to hear your opinion after you mount them and tell us how good or bad they are before purchasing. Thank you in advance for being the guinea-pig and the first to trial them.

Sincerely,

Robert

Robert, I think Stu would prefer to be called a PIONEER… :-)

George

Bill: you have good eyes, and did look closely at the image I posted!!

I used 10mil on the sides of the drop-center because the compound curve was more difficult to form the tape to that shape.

I used a layer of 20 mil over the bottom of the drop-center. I now think this use of 20 mil is ‘over-kill’. With the two side pieces of 10 mil meeting in the center of the drop, an additional layer of 10 mil creates 20 mil total thickness over the bottom of the drop-center. I think this is plenty thick, since the PVC tape is really tough stuff !

Greg Long

George, or maybe he would prefer to be called an ADVENTURER! (Hahaha)

Robert

Bill Morris, trying to put a positive “spin” on our 1601’s last flat tire, reminded me, “it’s only flat on the bottom…”

I’m optimistic these new American-made tubes, combined with Greg Long’s high-temp HVAC tape wrapped around the inside of the wheel, will provide many trouble-free miles.

I’ll make it a point to take a few photos to post here of the tires and tubes being mounted – most likely in the next few week.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.