Tilt-Ray headlights – BAH! Who thought this was a good idea?

Home Page Forums Body Tilt-Ray headlights – BAH! Who thought this was a good idea?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Well,  my efforts to get the ’32 in shape for the National meet are one step forward and ten steps backward. I honestly felt I was on track to have the car back in one piece to shake things down, by this weekend, until last night. Alas, a simple headlight bulb change has proven to be a real hassle. I have never seen such a goofball headlight setup before.

Neither headlight was working. I checked voltage at the terminal blocks on the frame – good there. So I removed one lens – I haven’t tried the second headlight yet. Removed the bulb and upon insertion of another bulb, the socket pushed back into the reflector. Well, the pot metal reflector frame is broken in seven places. Looks to me that it may have been put back together that way, years ago. Anyhow, socket remedied and new bulb installed. BUT – there’s no way this pot metal mess is going back together. I have fiddled, filed, and cussed in disgust.

Has anyone reproduced/recast this reflector mount?  ++ANYONE++ Or suggestions to remedy this, before I cancel my Meet reservation? The deadline and pressure is just too tight, me thinks.

Thanks – again and again.

=Adam=

Adam,

don’t give up yet…

John Cislak has made the rings for 29 and up cars.

The PAF has some for sale also. Give Dave Stevens of John Wosney a call, I am not sure which one of them has the inventory.

With six screws holding to the fender you should be able to screw and j b weld it if you have to do that to get it here. The old hot glue gun could be used to Fill the inner edge so you can play for now.

We are all looking forward to play in a few weeks!!!

Karl

@Karl, not throwing in the towel, yet. It took four hands and close to six hours to puzzle the one headlight reflector mount back together. Used a band of Gorilla tape to bodge it together; not the sort of repair that I do, every temporarily.

I will check into replacement castings, as suggested – thanks for the lead. One headlight to go, yet.  Work is cutting into my personal time, so I only have evenings to play.

@Karl – the one’s from the PAF are for a ’33-35 car. Luckily, Mr. Cislak had one set remaining for a ’32 and that’s the last of ’em. I now have them in-hand. I can see that this was not a simple part to make. +PROGRESS+

Adam, the nice thing is made from aluminum they will be there a very long time. Karl

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.