Thermostat New or Rebuild

Home Page Forums General Thermostat New or Rebuild

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Does anyone know who is rebuilding the in radiator thermostats?  Or, is someone selling them new?  I just installed my last spare, need to get one rebuilt or buy anothter.  Tony Zappone 585 739 2917

Hirsch is selling them for 595!

I don’t know if the guy who was rebuilding them is still doing it.

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone has a NOS thermostat they would be willing to sell.  John Ciselak seems to think that the totally round ones, or the ones flat on top and bottom are the same?

I had one rebuilt and modified to 180 degrees instead of 160 probably 15+ years ago by James Otto of Knoxville TN.  I suspect he is no longer in the biz.

Spoke to him yesterday.  I am forwarding mine to be rebuilt as a spare, today.  Nice man.  My question is, why 180?  I had my last one done to 140.   (which is probably wrong)?

Its great he is still at it!

When I was doing research on chrome rings I ran across some interesting information from Perfect Circle. A coolant temperarure of 160 or less tended to “chill” the oil on the cylinder walls and leads to excessive coking, deposits and wear. Also the ’37 senior Packards  offered higher temp range thermosylphons. Since overheating is happening when the temp goes above 200 I figured it didn’t matter from an overheating standpoint, once the temp reaches 180 the shutters are fully open at that point, it just means it gets past 180 a little sooner.

The 180 sylphon has been  in my Packard for  15+ years. A side benefit is I have a heater and the higher water temp makes a big difference, except when going downhill and idling!

I set up the Packard for a lot of driving when I was younger with a lot more miles in front of me. I haven’t haven’t had the Pierce sylphon modified, although if I get one rebuilt I probably would.

We should add this service by Otto to the Parts & Services Directory, Gentlemen!  Please forward information so others can benefit!  🙂

Our member Scott Henningsen in CA is making / repairing them.  I bought a couple from him at the 2018 Meet.

How much is Scott charging George?

As I recall, Tony, they were $250 each but I bought other items at the same time so that may have been the quantity-discount price–four years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.