Starting hand crank for Model 80

Home Page Forums General Starting hand crank for Model 80

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have a picture or dimensional drawing for a starting crank. I am presuming that original are unavailable so with this information i can get one made

Thank  YOU

Art

I have a hand crank that came with my 1933 model 836.  There is no crank hole in that car so I don’t need the crank and I don’t know what car it is for.  I can send dimensions if you are interested.  Regards,  Don Andersen

Hello Art.  I can supply a photo of a Series 80 hand crank.  I’ll need to go out to the shop to dig one up.  I might have an extra that I could sell.  When I got my first S.80 I had to make one, it is the only easy way to turn the engine for valve adjustments and setting timing and points.  I think that shop-made one is still around here.  I’ll try to post a photo today.

Greg Long

Hi Greg ; That would be great.

Art

Don  Thanks for responding. Since I do  not know what it looks like I will wait for Greg’s response

Art

Art,

Below are some photos of the crank from my Series 36. I do NOT know if this is the same as a Series 80.  The length is 10″ from the center of the square hole to the end of the crank arm.  The square hole is 3/4″ between the flats.  The 10″ arm gives about 1  1/2″ of clearance to the slash apron covering the frame.  The offset is 3″.  I would think some measuring would tell you if this would work on your Series 80.

Greg should know better if the S 80 crank is different.

Dave

Looks adequate to break your arm if held wrong and you get a backfire.

Bill, it certainly is.  It is a fairly heavy piece of metal.  I have never hand cranked a Pierce, but I would think it would take a pretty good heave to get all that mass turning enough to start it.

Takes me back to my Model A days.

The only rational reason to use the hand crank is to rotate the engine to adjust the valves.

That is actually what Is am using it for (valves and points). Since it appears from the website you own a Series 80, do you know if engine specs, drawings or parts manual for the car are available. I was told Pierce did not have shop manuals for the series

Thank You

Art Lee

Art,

Go to the Company Store section of this website.

There you will find a reproduction of the Series 80 Owner’s Manual and of the Tune Up & Wiring Manual, which covers the Series 80.

Peter

Art,

Check this out on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hit-Miss-engine-crank-handle-tractor-antique-automobile-collectible-tool-C9/383490653850?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

It should work, but the square hole might be a bit big, so ask the seller for the dimensions.

If it is too small, it can be cut out a bit, I think.

Also, I believe that Greg Long made one for me and although it is not so pretty, it is quite functional.

Good luck,

Peter

Peter

Thank You

Art

Art, The crank I have has a completely different end than the pictures you have received,  They are made to turn a square shaft end that protrudes from the bottom of the grille.  The one I have has a “T” end and would go through a crank hole and make connection to the end of the crank shaft behind the radiator.  Maybe not right?  Hope some how things can work.  Don

The crankshaft snout extends outside of the car below the radiator from a radiator skirt.

The snout accepts a square-holed crank handle and does not allow for a handle intended to go inside of the radiator skirt assembly.

See photo of snout cover.

The crank handle that Dave White posted a photo of is for either a teens car or a ’20’s series 32, 33, or 36.

A Series 80 crank is several inches shorter, and needs to be shorter to not hit the chassis or the apron covering the frame rails.. The S80 frame is several inches narrower than the bigger cars.

Here is a chromed S80 crank and a shop made one that I made to use until I found an actual Pierce Arrow crank.  The chrome is incorrect, the crank was painted black originally.

Greg Long

Series 80 engine crank handles.

Gents,

Greg’s reproduction handle is excellent, even if it does not have the outer sleeve that makes rotation easier when one is crank-starting a car.

That stated, you will not use it for crank-starting your car, but just to move the crankshaft to move the distributor points / valves, etc. for the purpose of adjusting the points and valve clearances.

For those purposes, it is perfect.

Peter

Peter

Thanks. It looks like the most practical solution for turning the engine is using a 3/4″ square socket sized for a 1/2″ sock drive wrench and used the drive to turn the engine. They are available on amazon

Thank You

Art

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.