Happy New Year everyone.
I thought I would start the year tackling the shackle bolts. I had viewed this with some fear and trepidation.
First I had to remove the pin retaining screws. Heated the screw then the boss with my hot wrench. I heated the boss until the rust burned off then melted a piece of candle wax on the screw and they turned right out. Maybe 2021 isn’t going to be so bad.
While the boss was still hot, I melted more wax in the screw hole and on the outside of both ends of the shackle pins.
I used a 4″ sledge to drive the pin towards the center of the car until it was flush with the boss.
To push the pin the rest of the way out, I used a tie rod end removal tool. I had trouble keeping the press bolt centered on the head of the shackle. It wanted to walk off the head so I put a retaining bar on top of the press and held it in place with a large “C” clamp on the frame.
Pin pushed right out, but it was very tight.
One day does not a year make, but at least it started off in the right direction.