Series 80 top questions

Welcome to the Pierce-Arrow Society Forums Body Series 80 top questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • #428061

    Hi, I’m working to finish the top of my Series 80. But, I have some questions…

    First is the drip edge, I have the original drip edge but it is in rough condition and is in 2 pieces. I’ve straightened the drip edge as much as I could and I could likely get it to work. But, I like to know if it is possible to get a replacement and if so where do you recommend? I seems like would be a very long item to ship.

    Second, how is the drip edge installed? Is it nailed or screwed? Do I use any type of sealant?

    Third question is concerning covering the nail indentations. In the attached image you can see that the nails holding the top in place have created an indentation in the top material. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to fix this? I’m hoping I didn’t do this completely wrong.

    I’m open to any other suggestions, thanks for your help and expertise.



    That is a very nice Series 80, DeLuxe Sedan!  A Great Car!

    I love its original condition and color.  Excellent!

    The material on your top looks like naugahyde (thick) and not what the PAMCC installed.

    The tacks holding it on look to be the size of dimes, well, smaller, but they are still pretty big.

    I will take a look at mine later today, or tomorrow, and send you a photo or two.

    The original material was a lizard skin style material, or something like that pattern of material.

    Regarding the drip edge, well, I’ll look at that later and determine if I can determine how it is attached.

    You also seem to be missing the front windshield visor.

    Do you have that piece?

    There are a bunch of Series 80 Boys in the PAS, so I am confident others will chime in!

    More later.




    Hi Peter, thanks for your reply and any information you can share after you look at your car.

    I was able to find correct modern day top material. A member here (Joe Malone) put me in contact with Eric Haartz at the Haartz Corp. to get the correct style material.

    The tacks used are standard size, they look like they have a large head diameter due to them pushing in on the top material.

    I am missing the windshield visor.





    There are a lot of Series 80 Gents out here who have a good stash of parts, whether they admit it or not!

    When you get together a list of parts, you might post what you need and maybe someone will cough one up.

    A Barn Find Series 80, DeLuxe is a gem, so go slow in any refurbishment.

    Also, get that Puppy to some PAS Meets.

    Be in touch and show us some photos.





    I attach a photo for your review.

    The top drip molding runs from the top of the rear window (it drops a bit down around  the curve of the rear window), up and around the windshield and back to and around the top edge of rear window on the other side of the car.

    You cannot see any tacks when you look at the molding.

    If you want more detail, be in touch via email at





    BTW, the top material is Not the correct pattern, but it was installed in the late 1980s and that was what was available at the time when my Uncle Joe owned the Pierce.



    Always hard to tell from just pictures, but it looks to me like the sides of the top are over padded.  The padding should be feathered as it goes around the curve, or if there’s metal in the curve then there should be virtually no padding over the curved metal itself.   Again, this is just from looking at the problem in picture, I’m not specifically familiar with Model 80s…..


    Hello Gents,

    I agree with David.

    The top material on my Series 80 is slightly squishy on the top, and the squishiness reduces as it heads around the side radius that goes to the drip edge.

    By the time the material reaches 1.5 to 2-inches above the drip edge, it seems to be glued directly to the top’s sheet metal.

    Also, how thick is the top material, as it appears to be a bit thick?

    I’ll root around for a piece of the material that’s on my top (I think that I’ve seen it somewhere in the past 5-years) and send you a small piece.

    I recall that it is about the thickness of construction paper, but of course much more flexible.

    I hope that this helps.



    Peter, if you’re going to be using trimmer’s technical terms such as “squishy”, I may need to see your trimmer license!

    That sounds correct to me, that the material ends up on metal in the curve….



    My Trimmer License was taken away from me because of my use of squishy words.




    Ha! Squishy is better than leaky!


    Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I made a mistake when I installed the padding. I wrapped the “squishy” material over the edge. Now I’m wondering what I should do without starting over with an new piece of roof material? Now that I’ve trimmed the excess material I don’t have enough extra to grab onto while stretching.



    Did you trim the top material, as in its width, or did you trim the padding off from under the the original width of the material?

    David Coco it an expert on upholstery, so shortly, he should chime in to offer advice.

    However, if you cannot make the material stretch from side to side, with or without padding beneath, you likely need to start over with new stock.

    Oh well, it is just another few hundred $$$!  ;-(

    Further, do you have the drip rail yet?

    If you do not have one in your pile of parts, you should have one made to install, as it will act as the facia, under which the top material should reach, but that may have to wait.

    Your Series 80, DeLuxe Sedan is Grand and will be better after you work on it for a few hundred hours.

    I cannot tell you how many hours / days I spent lying on my back on a creeper staring at the underside of my Series 80, while I tried to figure out how it worked, what it was missing and cleaning it up.

    That was all before installing the many eBay find missing parts.

    Your car will be great, it will just take some time, so be patient and do your best to only repair / replace things once or twice.  HA!

    I hope to meet you in Pennsylvania.






    I guess that I have time on my hands!

    The Drip Edge Molding is available at Restoration Supply and their catalog shows it on Page #29, Item number MOU043.

    Below, I list a link (at least close to the correct page).




    Hi Peter,

    I installed new padding, trimmed it, then stretched the material over it then fastened through the top material and padding. I then trimmed the top material. Hopefully the attached pictures will help.

    As far as the drip rail goes, I do have it but it is in 2 pieces an is not very straight. I’ve tried to straighten it as much as I can but it’s still crooked. I would prefer to install a new one and would like suggestions as to where to get it.



Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.