Robe rail bar

Home Page Forums Body Robe rail bar

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I was lucky to get a robe rail for my ’35 845 Club. Can someone tell me what was the finish of the robe rail’s metal bar? The original finish is gone without a trace. The end fittings are clearly chrome but was the bar painted?

Thanks for any help.

Jim

Jim,

Is the rail split?  My 1703 has a split tube. The finish is unimportant, as it was covered with upholstery. The ends of the material were forced into the rail slot.

Bob

Bob, yes its split, makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Which is absolutely correct, but you’ll find that a heavy broadcloth is quite a challenge to get into that little slot.  I usually just glue the material on, leaving as small a tail as possible that you can push into the slot with a screwdriver or other flat device.  Thinner material, such as headliner, might work better.

If I recall, a piece of skived leather was  used on my ’36

Another problem of stuffing thick material into the narrow slot of a long tube (re:window shade)! The window shade is being redone by the guy David suggested.

I am getting close to getting the upholstery done by someone who isn’t me. I will forward the tip, thanks again!

To add some pointless trivia, when I cut down the surface rust on the robe rail bar it had been flash coated with copper. Anti-corrosion not entirely effective?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.