RM auctions at hershey

Home Page Forums General RM auctions at hershey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

was the "series 81 touring" identified right? doesn’t the picture show a series 36 dashboard and the picture of the engine compartment looks like a 36 motor to me.

George,

It was not identified right.

It is a Series 36. I emailed them before the auction and questioned them about it. They replied looking for specifics and I told them about engine and serial number ranges and about dual versus single spark plugs, etc.

They never replied back but I saw that the description posted after the auction carried a note identifying the car as a Series 36 and acknowledging that the original description was in error.

I can only hope that they corrected things before the auction occurred.

Best regards,

Bill

No, RM never corrected the 1928 Model 36 at the auction. They had it misidentified from the very beginning on their fliers and websites, at the auction preview, and right up to the auction itself. On the screen in the auction hall, RM had not only the wrong identification but the wrong photograph! (They used the Model 81 Roadster photo.) All of the confusion could have been responsible for keeping the price down on that car. I think it sold very reasonably, at least compared to the original 1927 Model 36 that sold for big bucks (in my opinion) considering what I learned of its history and all that the car needed.

It should have been very embarassing for a major auction house like RM to screw up a listing that badly. This was not an auction of hotrod Chevy’s with one Pierce Arrow but an entire auction of similar-vintage cars. Was no one on their staff knowledgable on antique cars?? It would make me think twice about listing a car with them.

–SD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.