rebuilt engine

Home Page Forums Engine rebuilt engine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’ve been offered a rebuilt ’29 engine, complete with manifold, distributor, water pump, starter motor, generator and fan. Rebuilt about 10 years ago and mounted all assembled on a rolling stand. What would be an appropriate price to pay; seeing it would be a spare for my ’29 convertible coupe? Near show quality.

Hi- well, used basic engines sell for $800 to $1500, depending on model, and without accessories. With all the accessories, probably add anoher $600 or more unrestored. Then, to rebuild an engine will cost $3000 to $10,000, depending on who does it, how it is assembled (by owner or not), etc. So, $5000 to $10000 is one range, and I am sure that many people have more than that in engines.

All these numbers are just guesstimates, and refer to an 8 cylinder engine.

I remember talking to Tom Lester back in the ’80’s, when he had a shop doing engines. Price was "basic rebuild, $500 per hole (cylinder); Great Race ready, with a modern engine inside a cosmetically correct original engine, $1500 per hole". And that was 20 years ago.

What is that engine worth? Not a clue, just thought I’d throw numbers out. Remember looking at a restored 1911 Buick for sale, and I asked ":where are all the spare parts?". The reply was that the late owner did not keep any spares, he figured he could always fix what was on the car.

dc

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.