Reasoning for in fender headlights

Home Page Forums General Reasoning for in fender headlights

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

My 1912 Pierce has a system where you can turn on the gas and ignite the lamp

from the drivers compartment. Since the thick glass reflectors behind the

flame crack from too much heat, I don’t use any of my brass headlights.

Lancaster Glass used to make new ones but they are out of business. A friend

told me that $2,000 a piece would be a fair price for the parabolic

reflectors. Today there are outfits that make replacements out of spun metal

that are silver plated. They are not equals to the originals, but they work.

Yer right Anthony

They cost lotsa bikkies! The original Parabolic reflectors (at least in most brands of lights) were made from Pyrex hi-temp glass & precision ground ala telescope quality. Cracked reflectors can happen from too large a burner for the size of the light. Or having the burner 90 degrees out of correct orientation. Plus the burners can carbon up and the flame becomes misshapen and is deflected towards the mirror. They certainly need a lot of looking after. My experience with looking at gas lights at swap meets plus those I have collected over the years—cracked mirrors are the exception compared to good ones. I know that in modern use cracking them is not unusual. Maybe we newbies are doing something wrong. Modern gas cylinders compared to the old gas generator or original Prestolite cylinder leading us to have too much pressure. You HCCA Men sure would know all about it. NOW I have to admit

I have fitted 1912 CAV ELECTRIC lights to my Napier!!! OH SHAME!

G’day Dr Peter W

Halogen bulbs my man!!! I can cruise the Pierce safely in total darkness of the Outback at around 55mph! Haven’t hit a kangaroo —YET! Or maybe we Aussies are just lunatics!!! & do not forget the “Good Earth”” connection.

Cheers

Jak”

Somewhere I have a 1912 Seattle newspaper with an article about a prominent

doctor who had a party at his mansion. He had a large 7 passenger that he decided

to fill with party goers. The headlamps blew out and the car crashed, killing

a number of his guests.

Maybe somebody was lit instead.

Maybe they WANTED to have a BLAST?

Brings new meaning to “crashing the party””.”

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.