Rear window shade

Home Page Forums Body Rear window shade

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I am wondering if someone can tell me what the material is for the rear window shade of my ’35 sedan and are there any sources for it?

It is very thin, only .010″ thick and is somewhat stiff like it is a treated fabric. It looks like not much room for error on the thickness and it is going to be a bit tricky to remove the old material without getting jammed in the very narrow roller slot.

Any help appreciated!

window shade

Jim

The material is called a “no fray” fabric, you can buy it at most fabric stores.  It will have somewhat more of a weave evident.  Getting it in the slot is virtually impossible, add about an inch and a half to length and glue it one full round.  All that said, it’s a bear getting it perfectly even, so the next best thing is….

…go to the fellow who restores these for a living.  Not terribly expensive and you don’t have to fool with it. About $100 per shade restored.

Heritage Antique Automobile Interiors

1784 Ramblewood Avenue

Columbus Ohio 43235-7332

614-451-8893

Once again David you are spot on, Marcus at Heritage responded right away and looks like the go-to guy for antique auto window shades.

Thanks again! Jim

Marcus has my shade, after looking at it said the opaque materials available now are too thick and the choice would be translucent silk with a hem or he could try coating the silk to make it opaque and come closer to the original.

I opted for the uncoated silk. My Packard rear shade was done with translucent silk and I found it comes in handy for night driving. Without 2 position rear view mirrors you can pull up the shade and kill the glare from the headlights of someone behind but can still see them.

I think this may have been done “back in the day”. My Pierce was confusing in that it had two rear shades, the one hidden behind the upholstery panel and another sitting on top of the rear seat. That shade is translucent silk but not long enough to cover the whole window. Either the original owner lost the shade behind the upholstery when the tassle broke, or maybe used it for night driving?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.