Pierce Arrow Gold Medal

Home Page Forums Literature and Tools Pierce Arrow Gold Medal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi. I was contacted by Michael Marks regarding a Pierce Arrow 1901-1911 commemorative medal, gold colored and about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Can anyone identify this medal?

I’ve asked for a photo. Thanks. Rick

Rick: Pierce-Arrow Society reproduced the Commemorative Medal “Ten Years of Industrial Activity”” some years ago. I’m sure that some of the older members have one.”

There is an original medal, and a reproduction medal. The original is very heavy, I think 5 ounces or so. The reproduction medal is very light, about 2 ounces. In a previous thread I put the exact weights, but that’s close enough to tell real from repro. The repro is low value, maybe $20 if you had to have one, the original more valuable, I think the last one that sold on Ebay was $150 or so, it did have a few dings in the edges though…

Here are some photos of the medal in question. The medal is actually 2 3/4 inches in diameter.

Another photo.

It appears to be the slightly lighter color of the reproduction, the originals are a darker metal. If you pick it up and it seems light, it’s a reproduction, the originals have a good heft to them.

Here are the exact weights and comment from a previous discussion on this medal: The reproductions were made of an alloy (possibly aluminum) and are very light (in weight, and also a different color). I was once told that the replicated medals were made by an individual, so not sure if they were PAS distributed. The originals are relatively rare.

If you want to be 100% sure, ask him to weigh it for you. The reproductions weigh 2.1 ounces, the original will weigh 5.3 ounces.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.