Picnic buttons

Home Page Forums General Picnic buttons

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I notice a few Pierce picnic buttons showing up on Ebay.

The red, rounded buttons are reproductions, made in the 1960’s or so, either by the Pierce Society or by a well known member. Don’t be fooled by the minor corrosion on the back, that seems to happen to all of them.

The true original button is blue, and while the same design and size, much flatter. See attached picture of an original and a repro side by side, out of my collection.

If you want one of the red repros, contact me, I have a handful of them somewhere in my storage room!

PAS provided the buttons for one of the past annual meets.

Was that meet in the 1960’s? I have some that came out of the estate of an early past President, and most of the other stuff dates to that time frame….

Hello David,

I would like one of the buttons.

Thank you,

Ken

I’m having a little trouble finding the buttons in my storage space, they’ll show up. I have one I’ll send to Ken, and as to more, wait until I can find everything, and I’ll repost.

I have a lot of Pierce stuff that I’ll sell before too long, duplicates that I don’t need.

I’ve had trouble finding stuff lately. Hope it’s not old age, I’d like to think that I’m just so “stuff-rich” that it’s overwhelming!

Then again, my father used to say that his “forgetter is working overtime”….

David,

At our age our hard drive has stored so much data, it gets overwhelmed sometimes. I’ve found that it can get so full I don’t have any storage left. Thus my excuse for not being able to remember things (retrieve data).

That works sometimes………

David,

At our age our hard drive has stored so much data, it gets overwhelmed sometimes. I’ve found that it can get so full I don’t have any storage left. Thus my excuse for not being able to remember things (retrieve data).

That works sometimes………

David,

Thank you for setting a Pin aside. I am trying to grow my collection of items.

Ken

Hi David and All,

To shed some light on the picnic buttons, in addition to the blue one, there was also an original red one, mfd by Whitehead & Hoag, as shown at left in the 2 pictures. It is 1-7/16″ diam.

NorCal group also made a batch of repro’s as a fundraiser for our 2003 PAS Meet at Tahoe, at right in the 2 pictures. It is 1-11/16″ diam., clasp back. I still have many left Ken, if you don’t get one from David.

Cheers,

Bob

Reverse side picture.

Bob, thanks for clarification on the original red and the “newer” reproduction….I’d like to get one of those repro, too.

If anyone runs across an extra original red, I’d be a buyer, or possibly trade something I have a duplicate of…

It’s funny with Pierce memorabilia, I have hundreds of items, and just when I think I’ve seen it all, something new pops up….

12 display cases chock full of small items, a display case full of bigger items, and then of course the big stuff, ice box, pedal car, wagon, bicycles, Stanhope engine, and so forth.

Guess it sounds like bragging, I’m just passionate about Pierce stuff and rarely get to share it with others….

Dave you should write an article about Pierce memorabilia for one of the Society and/or Museum publications.

david, that is the problem with “great”” collections of things. we get to savor them everyday in our own world but few others get to see what was done in the past or understand what it took to collect it all. perhaps some day a picture of the drawers or even a quick picture show and tell in indiana would be appropriate.”

I’d be glad to share in whatever manner is deemed appropriate.

To me, there are different areas of Pierce memorabilia:

-the pre- bicycle Geo. N. Pierce items (ice box, bird cage feeders, bird cage)

– bicycles and related items, Buffalo made

-factory items or literature

-dealer items (give-always, advertising, literature)

-Duplex oil cans, made for Pierce Arrow use

-companies that promoted Pierce Arrow vehicles in their advertising or give-always

-items that have the Pierce Arrow name, but not directly made by Pierce (wagons, pedal cars, Converse 1910 toy car, etc.)

Close up 1

Close up 2

Close up 3

Close up 4

One of my favorite non-Pierce Pierce Arrow items, a 1910 Converse Pierce touring car….all metal, not perfect by any means but these are difficult to find in any condition, very large toy…..

With all the discussion about headlight bulbs, here’s a fun item in my collection. Just a box of light bulbs, no big deal, until you read the fine print!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.