Passing of Don Sommer

Home Page Forums General Passing of Don Sommer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

While it is not Pierce Specific, he did have a great impact on the hobby. Below is the announcement from the Packard Club

“It is with great sadness to announce the passing of Don Sommer. He passed away earlier this afternoon, Monday, July 15.

Don stood tall in the both the Packard community and old car hobby in general. He had numerous accomplishments in his life. He was the President and founder (1972) of American Arrow Corporation. American Arrow manufactures replacement mascots, parts and accessories for classic era vintage cars.

He, along with Dick Teague and other auto enthusiasts, co-founded Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance to support preservation of Meadow Brook Hall. During his tenure (1979 – 2006) the group raised $6.0 million for charity.

Don was a founding member of Motor City Packards, now the largest region of Packard Automobile Classics. For the past number of years Don was a trustee of the board of the Packard Motor Car Foundation helping to preserve the Packard Proving Grounds in (Utica) Shelby Township, MI.

Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time and the family will announce a memorial service at a later date.

Don will be greatly missed.”

Don was a wonderful man and his company, American Arrow Corp. still provides superior bright works for our cars.

He will be greatly missed.

Last month while at the Pierce meet I spent over an hour on the phone with him. While dealing with health issues the past three years, he was still as sharp and involved in the hobby. He was an interesting person, a aeronautical engineer by trade. He knew almost every major collector and dealer on the planet who had pre war cars. His ability to recall names, locations, and cars was unbelievable. Whenever I needed an introduction to an old time collector who was reluctant to take a call, I always called Don first to see if he could help me open a dialog with the person. I shall miss friend, Rest In Peace.

I have been informed by Don’s Son-in-law Howard there is to be a memorial service planned for Don at the Packard Proving Grounds on Aug. 11 between 1-4.

The grounds are located at 49965 Van Dyke road between 22 and 23 mile roads in Shelby Township MI.

People are asked to bring any pre-war car as a memorial to show on the grounds. I will be driving my Pierce there.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.