PA tubular bumper end caps

Home Page Forums General PA tubular bumper end caps

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by .
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

A couple of years ago there was some discussion about someone reproducing the nickel end caps for PA bumpers for the 1927-28 models.  Did anyone ever find a source?  I just found thanks to Karl Krouch a pair of tubular bumperettes for my Series 81 and will need the joined double-end caps for them.

Jack Davis

For the caps one solution is to use freeze plugs of the proper ID and machine the edges down to the proper size.

I mean the cup type engine freeze plugs.   Machine the edges to the proper size then drill and counter sink the center to accept the mounting screw.

Paul, the rear are a double bar with connecting caps. Karl

Paul and Karl

Thanks for the tips.  I think I see how to do it.  Wondering, though, about what kind of metal caps to use.  If they are to be nickel plated, does it matter?

Jack

I used off the shelf freeze plugs and they plated just fine.

Great tip.  Thanks Paul.

Jack

Oops, there is one issue still.  On the rear bumperettes there are two parallel tubes, and originally the end caps were joined.  Small matter, I guess.  Perhaps a connecting bar could be braised between them?

Jack

The rear bumperetts on my 1927 Series 80 with the rear spare are marked “BALCRANK”. There is an aluminum cup covering each end and they are not joined. Also the front bumper has convex stainless-steel cups which are pinned with a brass rod which passes across the diameter and has the ends braded; also the front tube is smaller diameter than the rear.
    of course I can’t state these were bought as a set; anything is possible since the car was new.

Thanks Randy.  The front bumper tube that I bought on ebay is 2″ diameter, and the end caps match what you describe.   The rear bumperettes I got from Karl are the same 2″ and the pairs of end caps are joined by a bridge that may originally have connected to the bolted end bracket.  About the center of the parallel rear tubes there is also a clamp that was originally nickel plated, and it is held in place by a bolt through a small plate that says “Pierce Arrow.”  I don’t see a maker’s name on any of the tubes, but there is a lot of rust and paint to remove, so there may be something there I’m not yet seeing.

As you say in re your bumperettes, there is probably no way of knowing if these came from a Series 81 like mine, or another model year.  It is interesting that the Series 81 parts catalog shows no illustration or mention of any sort of rear bumper, either a single tube or a pair.  I saw on this forum awhile back that George Teebay thinks there might originally have been no rear bumpers on the Series 81 and thus all such are aftermarket items, hence their not appearing in the catalog?

Jack

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.