Need rebuild on my wiper motors

Home Page Forums General Need rebuild on my wiper motors

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

The Pacific northwest tour is coming up the end of sept. in northern Idaho and I plan on taking my 1933 1247.  I have never been able to get the wipers to work  I have called  many times but have not been  able to get anyone at Clean sweep that is  Kent Jaquith to answer when I call the number listed in the 2020 service bulletin, are they still open .  Thanks Doug

Call David Ficken listed in the parts and service directory. I think he is the guy, he was very prompt with me 2 days ago and very upfront about what he can do realistically. Be warned the news might not be good. Hopefully 1933 wiper motors aren’t as rare as ’34-35.

On mine he told me that ’34-35 sedan motors were only used on Pierce and some Buick and has only seen 5 in his career. He doesn’t have good parts to rebuild them. It seems prewar zinc does it again, it swells and distorts the case slightly so the paddle can’t get a good seal.

I got mine to work briefly but not for long on a vacuum pump. I will be doing some experiments on mine in the coming week.

On my “36 Packard with the same wiper arm and slightly longer wiper blade they aren’t that effective when they do choose to make a couple of swipes, there doesn’t seem to be enough force to get a “clean sweep” even with fresh blades. Packard had a variable speed function that I joke means it goes from dead slow to stop. Meanwhile, Rainex is a pretty amazing product.

Doug,

I found this in a post on the AACA site.

“Now run by Melissa Klein it is at 3395 NW Elm Ave, Redmond, OR 97756 541-410-5671.”

[email protected]

I had sent my wiper motor  (’33  model 836) to Kent in Oregon (Clean Sweep).  There were several delays and he told me he was having some medical problems.  Eventually I got the motor back in a repaired condition with a note from his niece saying that Kent had moved to Yakima WA to be with his daughter so she can provide needed assist.  Don Andersen

Thanks guys,  this really helps.

Jim is correct! Rainex works better and more dependably than any vacuum wipers. I use it on all my pre-1960’s cars.

Rainex works exceptionally well on our nearly vertical windshields. The impact of a drop of rain just shatters and at worst leaves a very thin layer of tiny specks or water.  In a light to heavy rain, the windshield is easy to see through.

Regarding the wiper motors themselves, as Jim Chase mentioned the zinc or potmetal motor housing does develop blisters, or twists that prevent the flap or paddle’s sealed edge to fit properly.

Greg Long

Thanks guys , I have just put the wiper motors back in and  purchased a bottle of Rainex.  Best solution .

On a rainy trip from Reno to western Oregon a couple years ago my wipers barely worked at all until we got into a deluge nearing the coast. Then after working better dring the tour they became recalcitrant  again coming back. I had thought they were just being fickle, but suddenly occurred to me (duh) it was the altitude. My home in Reno is about  4500 ft elevation, western Oregon of course nearer to sea level. If your wipers try to work at all at higher elevation they might start working to a degree in North Idaho in the valleys (Couer d’ Alene about 2300 ft). Not a substitute for Rainex.

Jim, we are about 4500 feet here in northern Utah,  we will see if they work in  Court d’s Alene . I will put my mom is on Rainex.x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.