movie car wanted

Home Page Forums General movie car wanted

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Hi- a movie production company is looking for a 1929-31 open Pierce for 5 weeks of filming in Baton Rouge. Payment is open for negotiation. I decided that I can not let my car go down there "by itself". If interested call Billy Cook at 337-2240181. Movie is "Loss of the Teardrop Diamond". best David Coco

BE CAREFUL!!! My cars have been in over 100 movies. They are treated like props, NOT stars. One night I wanted to check on my car, and found it parked in a restaurant, being driven by the transportation manager. Another time I visited the location, and found 110 miles more on the od.

Hi- I agree, and that is one reason I decided not to let this car out of my sight. One question they asked is "can we attach a camera mount to the frame", and when I questioned the how he said "oh, I don’t think they drill any holes, they have special clamps". Hmmmm…. Also, I called the company where my antique cars are insured (J.C. Taylor), and they said as soon as you accept the first dollar for the services of your car, your policy is void; it is then a business and not a pleasure vehicle. So, as enticing as the money might be….. I just wanted to put the offer out there, I am not necessarily recommending it. They do want a Pierce for the job. best dc

HA!!! I could write a book!!! My Corniche had the hood damaged while I was on location. I took contemperaneous photos. I acquired witness testimony. A week later–tons of finger pointing–I was left out–big time. 3 months later==NADA I just filed a TRO against the show. THAT woke some folks up. I would INSIST on a BOND double the value of the car, with usage and mileage limitations–ANY breach—invokes the bond. Forget the glamour–and no value added to your car.
    It is just another prop. The brokers make out. NOT us car guys.

I have had both of my Pierces and my antique fire engine in various movies. I have not had any bad things happen. In fact, I told the movie company what I expected and what they could and couldn’t do, they were happy to work within my framework.
    I also know a PAS member here in Canada that has built a very reputable business in this industry and has well over a 1000 movie car. He too would tell you that it is all about "managing expectations on both sides.

Hi Ralph- I think you make soem good points. If I could spend five weeks being with the car, I probably would have done it, but since it is one of my "babies" in my collection, just could not see sending it down there with no one to watch over it. I am aware of the movie car collection, see that some of them are being auctioned, I was not aware that he had 1000 cars, that is incredible! thanks, Happy Pierce Motoring! David

David, I must admit that giving your car up for 5 weeks is a challenge especially if you are not going to be there. All of mine were a one day event and I was close by.

I was in "Road to Perdition" with my ’29. It was a two day shoot in downtown Chicago. There were about 80 Model A Fords and about five Classics. The movie company paid for our cars and also us as drivers in period clothing. There is no better way than to be the driver for your car. Plus the pay is double!

The most memorable moment of the weekend was hearing 80 Model A’s start up all at the same time. What a racket!

Bill

Hi Bill- that sounds like fun! If this had been a couple of day shoot close to home, I would have done it; but they were looking for the "main" car, they needed it 5 weeks or more, and I could not take off work that long. I have done movies before; was in one in New Orleans a long time ago (1983), with a ’10 Hupp and a ’09 Sears Autobuggy. The best shot in the movie, to me, was me driving the Sears, in period costume, as the St. Charles streetcar went past on the median. Same as you, got paid for cars and got paid to be an extra. Jack Warden was in the movie, we started talking, asked him if the movie business was always "hurry up and wait", film a scene then sit around for 3 hours. He stated that it was sometimes boring, but "had it’s moments". I also remember the catered meals were great! best dc

Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention the great food. We had the Chicago Police closing about eight blocks of LaSalle Street and blocking all cross traffic for each take of the shot. About 100 cars would all take off at the same time and drive about a block. That was the entire shot! Then we’d all have to back up to our original starting positions and do it again. There were 750 extras walking up and down LaSalle Street in addition to the cars. We did 15 takes of the shot and it was the most expensive day’s shooting of the entire movie. All for less than ten seconds in the movie. The shot was done on a Saturday in April and we were all dressed for winter with heavy coats and hats. Unfortunately the temperature was 85 and they wouldn’t let us roll the windows down in the cars (being winter and all). So we’d roll the windows up for the shot and then roll them down while we backed up to reset the shot.

We never actually saw Tom Hanks the whole day.

If anyone is interested I can send a digital photo of what the shot looked like just before they said "Action". I shot it from the driver’s seat of the ’29.
    Bill

Hi- would love to see the shot, please email to me at [email protected] thanks David

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.