missing shocks for a 1930 Model A Pierce

Home Page Forums Chassis missing shocks for a 1930 Model A Pierce

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I am trying to locate two replacement shocks for my 1930 Pierce. I need one for the Left Front and one for the Right Rer. They are the Delco Lovejoy brand and are in the 1650 series. I had mailed all four shocks by USPS to a restoration company in two separate packages. One made it and the other is lost and it appears as though they might never locate it. It is quite disappointing but I have had great difficulty locating a person who can assist. I have submitted the Missing Mail Assist but information is scarce.

That is so disheartening to hear.

What a horrible way to lose pieces for your car.

I’m sure there are some replacements out there somewhere but it doubt they will be cheap. Then they will still need to be rebuilt after you find them.

Incidents like this are why I am always very hesitant to ship rare parts for service.

I hope the insurance on the package helps take the sting out of obtaining replacements.

John Cislack should probably be the first place you look for another pair of shocks.

Good luck with your hunt for another set.

I am missing my shift lever and retaining cup for my ’33 836.

Sent to a plater who doesn’t return calls. Anyone have a spare.

This world of faceless relationships, in my opinion, sucks.

Well, that works both ways. I sent my radio off to a repair shop near San Francisco, as it needed repairs beyond what I could do myself. The communication with the shop has been excellent, and they advised me that the control head was pretty bad, and I should look for another one. I obtained one, and while out in Rohnert Park for the PAS Annual Meeting, made arrangements with the shop to meet and drop off the head. Turns out we know a lot of people in common. Radio should be done soon, and glad I took the effort to meet personally

Couple of suggestions when sending parts off for repair:

1) Run the company through the internet. Don’t only look at their website, but look at review websites such as Yelp, etc. Be wary of reviews that are too complimentary.

2) Just about every state now has court records and corporate records online. If the vendor is a corporation, check the states secretary of state database and get the officers names. Then go to the online court records of the county where they are located and see if the principals are involved in any lawsuits over breach of contract.

3) Check the local online newspaper for any information on the company or its principals. Might well not be a fraud situation, but sickness, death, fire, etc. and there might be a plausible reason for them not contacting you.

A little checking in advance might save you a lot of trouble.

Of course, ask your friends on the PAS website, too! (before sending anything!)

My 1931 Series 43 sedan has the Lovejoy 1650s on front, but seems ftom looking underneath that the earlier cars used the round Houdaille units. Anyway my right-front is a 1650 F and according to info provided by a known shock rebuilder, my left (driver’s side) front should be a 1650 E. If you find an extra one and a link I need them also!

Thanks for the input but my problems are with the United States postal ServiceS and the fact that they have lost my shocks.

Randy, could you provide me with the contact info for the person who gave you the info for the shocks. I need some technical advise. Thanks.

Syd, it was someone at Apple; I will find the email

address and send to you.

It’s getting so bad shipping things today. Even if you insure it, they will claim you didn’t package it right and refuse to pay. Twice in the past five years I went through the issue. Long story short, photograph the packing, box, and shipping label. We went head to head with UPS on a 10k item, and because we had photos of the wooden crate we made……..we proved their people were at fault. It took some time, but we got paid. It’s a pain to do the additional photos, but it always pays off in the end. Also, be aware, USPS uses non post office carriers to move packages. We had video of a package insured for 20k showing the shipper tossing the item in the “lost and found” bin because they were to lazy to handle the large, heavy, irregular shaped package that had to me sorted by hand. The postal inspector got involved, and head were rolled, but that still doesn’t get you your impossible to find parts back. We now only use fedex on the very expensive items, as we can track every person and location that handles it in real time. If it gets lost it is much easier to deal with fedex. Ed

Ed, thanks for sharing your experiences and your advice to use FedEx for shipping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.