Loki

Home Page Forums General Loki

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Folks, we lost a beloved member of the Pierce-Arrow Society yesterday, Loki has crossed the bridge.

Loki was beloved by all who knew, and met him. He was always kind and gentle, a dog everyone could love.

Please send your thoughts and prayers to Greg Long and Ken Sockrider for the loss of their family member. He will be missed. Godspeed.

Greg and Ken very sorry to hear about your loss.

Greg and Ken,

I am very sorry to hear about Loki.My thoughts go out to you.

Greg and Ken. So sorry for the loss of your family member, Loki.

Thank you.

This was a very tough weekend for us.

And the first Gathering at Gilmore in 7 years without LOKI standing ‘guard’ over the commons. From his ‘office’, the back seat of our 1925 touring car.

His very intelligent and playful self:

And a few more;

Another.

Loki was but 8years and 7 months old. He should have had several more years of active life.

He had low energy on Friday’s tour, and Friday night he had rapid, shallow breathing. On Saturday morning, Ken and I left early and took LOKI to the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine. To their 24/7 emergency clinic. There, LOKI was found to have an extremely fast heart rate, along with his very rapid breathing.

The vet did an echo-cardiogram, and came right back out to Ken and I, saying that the area around his heart, enclosed in the ‘pericardium’ was full of blood and fluid, and was preventing his heart from beating properly.

We authorized a ‘tap’ to be done to remove the fluid and blood.

LOKI improved immediately.

About two hours later I and Clair Blair visited LOKI at the clinic, and we had a long talk with the Vet.

LOKI’s likely illness was from a blood-vessel cancer that German Shepherds are prone to getting. Her own Shepherd had died of this cancer a year or two ago.

LOKI needed to stay in the clinic for 24 hours to monitor his condition, to make sure his heart had not leaked more blood into the pericardium. We got phone calls every 3-4 hours.

At 9pm on Saturday night the Vet said LOKI was unchanged, and was resting nicely. I discussed with her if we could pick LOKI up Sunday afternoon, would she release him, and let us take him home, to have his care continued by our own local vet, who travels to this patient’s homes.

The MSU vet said that that was her plan, and if LOKI stayed as he had for the last 10-12 hours, that she would be happy to release him.

BUT then came the 4:45AM phone call: The same Vet. She said that LOKI had taken a turn for the worse, and that his breathing rate had increased a lot, the area around his heart had NOT filled back up. His heart rate was only slightly elevated above normal.

But his breathing rate was easily double normal. She took an x-ray, and found his lungs were badly inflamed, and swollen inside, and several ‘nodules’ were very easy to spot. The cancer was well-entrenched in LOKI’s lungs.

We were told that even on oxygen that LOKI was not getting any relief, and that we needed to get to the clinic as soon as possible.

We packed, loaded the car, checked out of the hotel and left for East Lansing at first light.

When we arrived at the clinic, LOKI knew who we were, and was happy to see us, but his main focus was on breathing, it was painful to watch him struggle. Even with me holding the oxygen tube right in front of his nose, he just could not relax any, and slow his breathing..

It was time; to say goodbye to our beloved family member.

With the help of the Vet we put LOKI on a gurney, and wheeled him out to the ’25 Touring car, LOKI perked up when he saw the car, and even tried to get up and off the gurney.. He was always ready to go for a ride.. I wonder if he understood that this was his last ride?

I picked LOKI up, and set him on the back seat, in his usual spot, his nose against the right rear corner of the interior. His ears were up, and he gave Ken and I a little kiss, and a bit of a wag of his tail.. but his struggle to breath took over.

Ken and I gave LOKI his last chin-scratching, and last massage of his neck and scratched his ears.. and we both nodded to the Vet..

And LOKI was gone.. My God, do the tears ever stop??

We wrapped him in a blanket, and drove home, LOKI took his last ride in the Pierce.

I made him a coffin, and Ken and I went out back to our pet-cemetery, picked LOKI’s grave site.

I took the backhoe out, and dug his grave..

At about 6pm Sunday night, Ken and I set his coffin in the grave and I hand-shoveled the dirt back into the grave.. using the backhoe was just too cold for me..

So LOKI is gone.. and our feelings are raw.

Greg and Ken.

Greg and Ken

I am sorry for your loss.

Jim

Sent to us by George Teebay:

A Dog’s Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside… for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements… and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth… though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land… for you are my god… and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest…and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

–Beth Norman Harris

Greg,

You, Ken and Loki were truly missed at the show field and lunch yesterday. A moment of silence was observed for you all prior to the blessing. Thank you for sharing Loki all these years with us and then reading his final chapter to us on this message board.

Greg and Ken,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. So sorry for your loss.

James

Kathryn and I are so sorry for your loss. Loki was a very special fellow! We will miss him but remember him fondly.

Sue and I will miss Loki greatly. Greg and Ken, our thoughts are with you.

Karen and I are very sorry for your loss. Love and prayers to you Greg and Ken.

Don

Greg and Ken, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved companion, Loki.

It is never easy saying goodbye to a member of the family, even the four legged ones.

Loki was as much a fixture at Pierce events as your ’25 Touring.

He will be greatly missed by the Pierce family.

Loki was the Society Mascot and was usually more mild mannered than most of

members in attendance. I can’t imagine the depths of your grief. I wish I was

there to console you both and lift your spirits with a hug. You are a shepherd

to our Pierce-Arrows that need a boost to arrive in a future that may be

hostile.

Our time is short to celebrate, restore, and lay a foundation that will make

future generations embrace our enthusiasm for Pierces. Loki had the spirit and

was adept at managing the back seat of the ’25. Loki will live on in our

hearts and the many pictures taken while being a booster for our Society.

Robin and I are very sorry for your loss. Loki was a very good dog and will be missed.

Phil

Dear Greg,

Very sorry to hear about Loki. I would have liked to have gotten to meet him. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Andrew

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.