King-Seeley repair kit question about fading

Home Page Forums General King-Seeley repair kit question about fading

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

The Fluorescent Green K-S liquid is for sale online.

The application is for an Oil Level Sight gauge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-SEELEY-OIL-GAUGE-SIGHT-GLASS-GREEN-FLUID-AUBURN-OTHERS-N4-98/352344221139?hash=item52095a25d3%3Ag%3A49oAAOSwUuFW2IQM&LH_All=1

Modern automatic transmission fluid is red and does not evaporate and I don’t think it looses color. It is a mineral oil with additives for lubricity, detergency and heat transfer, if I recall.

Automatic transmissions were just starting to show up in the 30’s so fluid wasn’t a common thing. I wonder it that might be a substitute?

Automatic transmission Fluid’s density is a little less than water, the K-S fluid is 2.96 x denser than water. A change of 5 gallons in the tank would read as change of over 15 gallons on the gauge – until it overflowed out the top of the gauge. A simple manometer gauge of auto trans fluid would have be about the same height as the fuel tank to read full vs empty, although there is a trick to reduce that. The K-S gauge itself does that via the calibration rods sitting in the brass reservoir tube.

Jim

Checking the SG of different fluids out and there is nothing close enough to Bromide to use as a replacement from what I have read.

The dye strength is the issue, I wonder what was used in the day that isn’t available now? I’m sure it must have been discontinued for health reasons…

It is clear, but what about something like glycerin? Doesn’t it have a SG in the 3 range, and can’t it be dyed?

It’s a good thought, but my chart shows glycerin is 1.26 SG, plus I think it’s easily evaporated. If it was an easy answer to use a different fluid someone would have marketed it already. I think the answer is about the dyes used and what might last more than a couple years.

Hi Mark, when you find those red Viton washers, if you have enough, could you send me a piece of one about 1/4″x1/4″? I think that would make at least 4 small spheres that might float on the KS fluid.

What was the application for the Viton washer? was it part of a carburetor rebuild kit? if so, i might have the left-overs of a carb-kit or two. Maybe I have a similar source for some Viton.

Greg Long

I would try a float ball in a gauge out of a car, I would be worried that a tiny ball might tend to stick to side of the glass via surface tension/capillary forces. Once in it could be real fun trying to get it out in a gauge behind the dash. My gauge is still mounte6 to the garage wall.Jim

I have continued my exposure test with interesting results. I put the glass tubes of K-S fluids back out in the sun in early June. I added two more sample tubes of the same 5 year old fluid but dropped in some little pieces of brass and copper to simulate the presence of the brass reservoir and copper tube of the gauge. Voila, the fluid with copper and brass turned a lighter amber in about 2 weeks, the samples in pure glass still dark red. The samples behind UV blocking glass acted the same as regular glass.

It could be that temperature is as much or more of a factor in the reaction, I am testing that next. Don’t know that this will provide any solutions.

Jim

James,

You are indeed a Scientist of the First Order!

BRAVO!

Peter

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.