Handbrake Restoration 1929

Home Page Forums Chassis Handbrake Restoration 1929

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

1929 Handbrakes – several of these cars have had the “self-releasing handbrake” problem, as did mine. Jim Chase and Joe Fazzio have designed and are fabricating a complete restoration kit to permanently solve this problem. Their first unit used a rivet like the original and it now works perfectly in my car. A revision of the kit makes installation easier by replacing the rivet with a custom shoulder bolt, washer and nut.

The kit still contains all the new parts required to make the hand brake to stay where you set it. A new sector plate bolts to the transmission, a new pawl is held in place by the bolt, washer and nut set. When completed, the handle stays in place, tightening the band on the drive shaft and the release lever operates smoothly. Their kit will become a Foundation project, available soon and will be listed in the Emporium. Also, I am looking for an old but complete handbrake handle to demonstrate the revised kit. If you have one, email me to make arrangements. Many pictures will be taken to document the new assembly steps.

Herb

Many thanks to Jim. Joe & Herb on putting this together. They have put a lot of effort in refined the parts and spent many hours working with machine shops to keep the cost affordable. This may also fit some 1930’s.

The Pierce-Arrow Museum’s Project Fund is ordering only 25 sets, so if you have this need don’t hesitate to order promptly when the ad is posted in the Emporium and on the Museum website (pierce-arrowmuseum.org). I hope to have the kits put together and available with instructions by March or April. Because this is a safety related project we will require a release of liability form be completed before filling an order.

Dave Stevens

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.