Finished the top

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Finally finished installing the top. Several missteps and not perfect but it should do. I worried about David Coco’s advice to install it in the sunlight to keep it expanded, but that wasn’t feasible in the cold weather, so I hoisted an old infrared strip heater above the car to keep it warm. It kept it up to about 140F in the middle dropping to about 90F at the edges.  I installed a dipole FM antenna using thin wire with 30″ 90 degree legs in between the two layers of batting rather than using the chicken wire for an AM antenna. Maybe it will work.

Thanks to David, Bob Koch and Joe Malone for help and advice.top installed

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jim,

Exquisite. When can I bring my two over for you to duplicate. I even have the top material!!!!

Bill

Looks fabulous!

I had a call from a member, Frank Solono, earlier today asking about sources for the top insert material for his 1936 Club Sedan, but I did mine 20 years ago and didn’t have a solid answer.

What are your recommendations?

Dave

231-740-3610

Bill, I work cheap but the number of manhours is a killer. I think others do it in a day, it took me four or five.

Dave, there is a long string on the message board a couple years back about the “correct” pattern that can be found doing a key word search. Apparently Eric Hartz did a special run that matched somebody’s sample and needs a call directly to Eric to obtain. I think others have done that and might respond here.

The whole discussion left me wondering whether there really was ever any one pattern used consistently. I have no intention of ever having my car judged, and my goal has never been to do a slavish recreation of the car when it left the factory. I lean a bit towards function over form (no it doesn’t have a 350 Chevy).

Looking at the pictures I took of Paul Johnson’s original ’35 (thanks Paul) it appeared the grain on his car is more subdued than the  usual cobra long grain I used on my Packard decades ago. Colonial grain is more subtle and looked like a better match so that is what I used. I bought it from Mac’s.

Thanks much!

Dave

Can anyone recommend a good preservative for the top material?  The roof inset on my car was redone, probably in the mid 1980’s and is in good condition now and I’d like to keep it that way.  It seems to be a textured, rubberized material.  Good fortune that when they redid the top, they reinstalled the antenna in the panel.  Found the coaxial cable under the car seat and my restored radio plays perfectly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.