Finally Out On The Road and Running Right

Home Page Forums What did you do with your P-A today? Finally Out On The Road and Running Right

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Even though it was kind of a cold, windy day here with a dash of rain, it was like pure sunshine for me!  Finally, after all of these starts and stops, pretty much everything that needed to be done on my 1933 1236 EDL got done.  I was finally able to get the new wheels from Stutzman Wheel installed on the car and I was off and running, ready for this Sunday’s auto show at nearby Triton College in River Grove.  I was even able to touch up most of the paint chips, and they look all right from 5 feet away.  I’m following Greg Long’s advice, and am going to hold off on a repaint until I hit a point where I can’t drive it any more on tours.  At that point I’ll have it professionally redone and display it at the museum.  After getting the wheels on, I drove over to a local hand wash and had them do a complete interior and exterior clean on the car.  Cruising home, with the Pierce Arrow/Philco ME radio playing, the car sparkling and shining, I was on top of the world.  I need to get more miles on it, although it seems to be running very well.  I was hoping to trailer it out to the meet this June, but I couldn’t get anyone to ride with me and share the driving, and it’s a long haul out there by yourself.

Anyway, Gilmore is very doable from here and I plan to be there in August.

I’ll post some pictures from the Triton show next week.  I heard that someone we all know will also be there.

Ken,

Congratulations!

Peter

There is no other feeling than the first ride in the Spring.  Tomorow we return to Saratoga, and after the horror of putting everything away, and waking up the house, I  will start the cars, and begin another wonderful season with the old cars

Both elements of ending slumber can be fun. Waking and starting the old cars from their winter slumber for another enjoyable driving season or waking the house from their morning slumber. Having done several similar things in my past, I won’t ask which was more enjoyable. Beginning another season with the old cars is certainly more gratifying for a longer period of time, but waking the whole household can bring much more immediate excitement.  To repeat the old Esso slogan, “Happy Motoring” to you and yours this summer. Herb

Well, the second local show went very well.  Scott Stastny always told me to take the car out on increasingly longer runs to check reliability before going on any tours or anything.  The car show mentioned above is only about three miles from home, so I was taking longer runs.  Last Saturday, a car show was held in Bill Morris’s stamping grounds, and since he was giving a Pierce presentation, I had to be there.  A little old lady from church wanted to come along, so I picked her up on the way.  By the time I got her, went to the show, and got back home again, I had driven 72 miles without a problem.  Scott had told me that if you make 50 miles, you should be fine.

One of the highlights of the day is when a local man came up to my car, and started looking at it from stem to stern.  It seems that he grew up and went to school in Tucson, and swore he recognized the car.  I confirmed that the car was delivered new in Tucson, and he told me that one of his college professors had a hobby of reupholstering cars, and he remembered my car from the late 1970’s.  I gave him the updates on the history of the car, and he was truly amazed at running into the car again.  There is no other 1933 1236 EDL listed in the directory and for all I know, it might be the only one extant.

Congratulations on hearing everything went smooth for your first ride!…May I post your photo on the PAS Museum page?…

Ken,

Bernie Weis’ materials only list one 1236 EDL known to exist out of an estimated 56 made. There are also three 836 EDLs known to exist.

Dave

Dave,

Can you tell from the records if my car is a “Salon” model?  Scott Stastny claimed that it was due to the parking lights, dual lights, hood trim, etc.  One advantage to the parking lights and dual tail lights was that Bob Lederer’s shop was able to install turn signals using the existing lights, and the only sign of the signals on the inside is a discreet toggle switch that was installed in an existing hole in the left side of the dashboard.  Turn signals are a must living in an urban area.

Ken,

The serial numbers do not indicate whether the car is a Salon model. That was an option package.  It sounds like yours may be, but I am not knowledgeable enough on the thirties cars to know what trim changes were part of the Salon package.  I am on the road right now, but can check the Salesman’s Data Book when I get home and see what the package consisted of.  Someone like Karl Krouch may know.  Dave

Ken,

The following is from a 1933 Sales Brochure and lists the equipment in the Salon package.

Thanks, David.  I have all of the above on my car, and I just have to question the running board strips.  I have no strips actually on the running boards, as I have seen on earlier cars, but I do have chrome strips along the bottom edge of both running boards.   So, it does look like I have a Salon Model.  I also have that type of upholstery in my car.  As I mentioned, the gentleman at the car show saw my car in the process of being reupholsterd in the late 1970’s.

Ken,

So glad you have the car all together and are out enjoying driving it around!  Nothing better than a cruise in these cars.  I remember seeing the car in Chi Town when we met for lunch.  It looks great in the pics above.  We will make the California meet next week however am not bringing the Pierce (Ugh!).  But believe it or not have another out of town wedding so will miss Gilmore again in August…..we missed last year for same reason.  I have to put a family flier out on our PAS dates.  🙂  I really miss the tours and Members.

Hope to see you along the way soon!  In the meantime good luck with the car!

Rob Bork

I was planning on going to Buellton this year but the travel options weren’t the greatest.  I had wanted to take the Pierce out there,  but couldn’t get anyone to ride along with me.  A three day drive by myself was not that appealing, and then when I added in the fuel prices and the extra hotel nights along the way it started getting really expensive.  Pulling a Pierce on a trailer with big diesel truck over 4000 miles round trip can be pretty pricey.  I do plan on being at Gilmore, however, and with the exception of a little peeling paint, I have just about everything up to snuff.

I will have the car out at Oakbrook Center out here in Chicago this weekend for the Father’s Day Car Show at the mall, however.

See you at Gilmore! Really looking forward to it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.