Engine number mystery

Home Page Forums Engine Engine number mystery

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I am looking at a 1930 Model B for sale.  The engine number stamped on the block is 123379 which is as shown in the vehicle roster but is not consistent with other 1930 Pierces.  The car has a 139″ WB which ought to make it a Model B but in the roster and on the title it is shown as a Model A.  Unfortunately the serial number tag is gone or at least could not be found on the car where it is supposed to be.  Can someone please help me with this inconsistency?   Thanks.

Bill Seward

Update to inital post:  It appears that the number I showed is actually the engine casting number rather than the specific engine number.  Where on the block would the specific engine number be found?

Bill,

My 29 engine number is stamped on the right side of block just below the head, above the waterjacket and slightly aft of center.

Car Serial Number on a tag on frame rail behind the right front wheel.

James

Thanks for the reply.  I found a photo of another 30 Model B that shows the same location for the engine number.  On the car I am considering, the tag is very worn so it may be impossible to read, but that’s where I will look. Hopefully it will lead to more provenance for the car.

Bill:  Were you able to find and read the serial number and engine number?

I have found that shining a light, like a focused-beam flashlight across the surface where the numbers are stamped, will often show a shadow of the stamped number, where shining a light directly at the number washes out any contrast in the stamped metal surface.

Also, sometimes taking chalk and rubbing over the stamped surface then wiping the surface off.  This sometimes leaves enough chalk in the stamped number depressions to be able to read the number.

I have a few engines that are very, very hard to read.. even with a magnifying glass and using various methods of lighting and coloring the stamped area.  Sometimes the stamping was so shallow that even surface rust will level the surface and obliterate the numbers.

Best of luck.

Greg Long

The engine number tag proved to be completely etched away.

And the serial number plate is also missing.  Failing all else, I am including a picture of the car in hopes that someone in the PAS will recognize it.

I appreciate the assistance.

Bill

Bill,

Do you have any prior owner history? I might be able to do a search of older PAS records by owner and see if a valid number comes up. If you don’t want to post names here, e-mail me.

Dave

What number does the title have on it?  If you can’t match a number on the car to a number on the title, you’re really taking a chance buying it.

Looks like a nice car though.

I finally got a look at the current Tennessee Title.  The VIN number on the title is 2502920 which is the serial number of  a 1930 Model B Sedan shown on the Vehicle Roster as having been owned by Sully Hansen and before that by J. Groendyk.  So it appears that the car title actually may be correct for the car after all, at least as far as the VIN is concerned.

William, the frame tag is reproduced and that number should be put there. Any trophy shop should be able to do it for you if you purchase the car. Karl

Bill,

That number is correct for a 1930 Model B, so most likely the title is correct.

For reasons having nothing to do with the provenance of the car, I have decided to go a different way.  However, I should like to help the gentleman selling the car to advertise it on this website.  Should I do this in the regular Emporium pages or in a different manner?  Please advise.

And, thanks for all of the good advice and help on the identification issue.

Bill,

Post it in the Emporium under Non Member Leads.  You can also place something here on the Message Board, which you sort of just did. It looks like a nice car.

One thing he might be aware of in some states (such as California) DMV requires a VIN verification before an out of state vehicle can be titled. If the VIN is missing off the car, the process becomes more cumbersome with DMV hoops to jump through, possibly requiring a Law enforcement check that it isn’t stolen and a bond be posted in order to get a title. He might follow Karl’s advice about getting a Serial Number plate.

Dave

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.