Engine Ground

Home Page Forums Engine Engine Ground

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

You are looking at a complete idiot who spent the day installing an 8 cylinder engine by himself (after waiting for 9 years for it to be rebuilt). He had a second complete shoulder replacement 30 days ago, the first 4 months ago.

Now to the real reason for the post. The frame in the engine compartment, engine, and transmission was painted with Eastwood’s ceramic paint. It is great except I am concerned it will not allow a clean ground back to the battery. Any experience or thoughts? As this car appears original, I would like to minimize any further “restoration” beyond the engine rebuild.

By the way, the installation of the engine from the side works like a charm as long as you have an engine hoist that can handle this sized engine on the longest boom length. Much better than working over the front.

Hi Bob, congratulations to you for persistence and determination bringing this nice project to the finish line.

Looking forward to seeing this car go down the road!

John

Wow, never thought I’d see the day that engine came back to you from the great rebuilder we use, he’s just a little slow.

Run a ground from your battery to the frame, per the factory. Then, run another ground from battery directly to mounting bolt for starter. That will ground your engine and provide MUCH faster turnover of all those pretty new internals. You know all about using big cables and such…..

Congrats! A big step…..and, um, you could have called me, would have been a good excuse to come visit!

Run a ground strap from the frame to the transmission also.

All the above. An item I sell quite often is a soldered end length of welding cable that connects the Positive battery terminal clamp bolt to a starter-mounting bolt. A star washer under the wire end on the starter bolt assures a good electrical connection through even heavy paint.

I use a slightly longer bolt through the positive battery clamp, so the first nut pinches the clamp to the battery post, then the wire loop end, then a second nut clamping the wire connector.

A dedicated ground is worth a 25%-50% increase in cranking speed, depending on the resistance in the poor connections through the frame, engine mounts and all those steel to steel connections. Copper conducts electricity MUCH better than steel and iron.

Bob: you saw these cables on my table at Hershey last year:

Greg Long

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.