Conductive grease on terminals

Home Page Forums Chassis Conductive grease on terminals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have any experience on using conductive paste (not dielectric insulating grease) on electric terminals? I am installing new wiring and cleaning up the original unusual plug-in terminals between chassis and body wiring which I haven’t found at any restoration supply houses. I think they will clean up fine and are basically a very good design but with a 10 gauge wire coming into some of the connections it is going to have a lot of current. I remember many threads back some discussion on discovering overheated wiring nearly burning cars down.

Jim

Thanks for responding Bob, it looks like the Deox is primarily for preventing corrosion more than improving conductivity in the connection. I am looking at the following product:

MG Chemicals Carbon Conductive Assembly Paste

it claims the following:

Improves electrical connections between irregular surfaces, loose or vibrating parts and small gaps. Does not separate or bleed at high temperatures. Contains special corrosion inhibiting compounds

Low Volume Resistivity: 23 ohms·cm

Volume Conductivity: 0. 04 S/cm

Surface Resistivity: 271 ohms·cm

Surface Conductivity: 0. 0037 S/sq.

Improves Automotive Connections

James,

We used to use a liquid that was conductive and I’ll try to find out what the name of it is. I know it was very expensive and we billed it by the drops used, I think a 1 fl oz bottle and it was about $70.00. Jim

James,

The contact enhancer is from Standard Ignition Products called SL-5 in googling it there is something called 22S also, it can be diluted with alcohol to make it seep into connectors and then the alcohol evaporates and leaves the enhancer to work. Check with your auto parts store. Putting it into some connectors it might be easier to get a syringe and needle to insert it. Jim L

Thanks, I’ll check them out. Jim

Well, certainly is a complicated subject, with lots of opinions on the internet. Electrical not my thing. Apparently the DE-OX is a dielectric grease that one would think was an insulator but apparently does not increase resistance in a connection but rather keeps it from corroding, so I am guessing it won’t improve cleaned terminals initially but keep them from deteriorating over time and exposure. It is used on a lot of connections including battery terminals to keep them from oxidizing.

Many articles saying conductive greases aren’t, that they don’t actually improve connections and can cause corrosion problems if the wrong filler (carbon, silver, zinc) is used. Never the less there seem to be plenty of them out there.

The Stabilant 22 itself looks like the very amazing magic but expensive bullet.

It claims it can replicate the connection of a soldered joint, while amazingly not conduct electricity outside. Looks like it is a pretty big deal in the world of computers and audiophiles. I got very confused because the SL-5 was listed as a silicone dielectric grease for protecting spark plug connections but also shows up when searching Stabilant 22. It appears Standard Ignition products sells the SL-5 as a kit including the silicone dielectric and a tiny bottle of Stabilant 22 as well.

Jim

Reviving an old thread, here…

Back when I was actively restoring vintage tube radios, jukebox amplifiers and tube Hi-Fi equipment, I learned of a couple of products made by Caig Labs.  The first is DeoxIt. This is a unique contact cleaner that removes oxidation. This stuff was the magic bullet on irreplaceable late 20’s and early 30’s carbon volume controls that were noisy and scratchy. 30+ years later, these still work like new.

After using the DeoxIt, then I apply the DeoxIt Shield. This improves the conductivity of the connection and keeps further degradation from occurring. A tiny bit goes a long way. What’s different about these chemicals, than Stabilant 22 is their lubricating qualities makes them better in environments where the contact has to be mated and unmated or if there’s movement or vibration present. Further, when the connection is unmated, and re-mated, there’s no need to reapply the DeoxIt Shield, which is different than the Stabilant.

Caig also makes a range of greases and marine greases with unique properties, although I’ve never used any of them.

=Adam=

I have been using the stabilant 22 on some of the semi permanent junction block connectuons on the Pierce, I have no idea if it is just over egging the pudding.

I did find the deox but for a different application – the pot on my 40+ year old Marantz turntable speed sync control. It wouldn’t hold speed, but a few squirts helped. Thanks, Jim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.