Best driving Pierce Arrows.

Home Page Forums General Best driving Pierce Arrows.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am new to the Pierce-Arrow Society. I am looking for suggestions and opinions on the best driving Pierce-Arrows. I like driving the cars more than looking at them in my garage. I own two 1941 Buick’s. A four door touring sedan and a phaeton . I am on the road with one or two of them every weekend and really enjoy the drive quality.

I became interested in Pierce Arrows when I was a kid. I thought then and still do today the 1933 Silver Arrow was the coolest car ever made. I have been lucky to at least see one at Hershey a couple of years ago.

Visually, I like 1932, 1933 and 1936 the best, but I am interested in the best driving qualities. I  also wonder if a twelve that much better than an eight? Any suggestions and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a 32 Model 54 and a 36 1603 V12. The newer cars with overdrive are fabulous road machines. Straight 8 is more than adequate but v12 is quite powerful. Key is the overdrive and lowering the rpms. 36 cruises effortlessly at 70-80 MPH. All Pierces drive beautifully, just how fast do you want to go.

Dennis, John Cislak lives 70 miles from you. Go visit him and his shop. He can explain in detail all the cars, and what you should be looking for.

A ’32 is slightly lighter than the same body style in ’33, and significantly lighter than a ’36.  Generally, a lighter car is more nimble and easier to steer and stop.  And of course will accelerate better.

As Roger Bise wrote, it is important for freeway or fast highway driving to have an overdrive or high speed gears in any of the models.. A 1936 has a factory overdrive.

As a testament to Pierce Arrow: a 1936, due to a very stiff frame, and heavy body is like a vault on wheels. And inspite of it’s weight, due to the gearing and overdrive it drives like a car a lot lighter than it is..  I prefer the smaller ’32 and ’33’s but they all drive very nice if the suspension is in good condition.

An 8 cylinder engine is lighter than the V12, and this affects steering effort and overall performance. So while a V12 is a more powerful engine, it’s greater power is at least partially consumed by the added weight.   I like the 8 cylinder engines for their relative ease of repairs and lower complexity.

Greg Long

Thanks to those who made suggestions. Looks like I have some homework to start.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.