’33 U joints

Home Page Forums Chassis ’33 U joints

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Before I go and have my original ends cutoff my driveshaft and replaced with a modern part, does anyone have another fix?

I am sure I can find cups to work, but the journals (bearing surfaces) on my driveshaft are pitted beyond use.

Bill

Cislak makes U joints, not sure what year they start. They are direct fit.

Edgar,

Mine has the cross journals built into the shaft. There is no “X”” to replace.

I debated trying like a ’35 shaft that does have the replaceable uj’s.

Thanks

Bill”

Most any drive line shop that services truck drive shafts can replace the U Joints. On my ’35, the U Joints were replaced with a Spicer joint that can be greased. The drive shaft was also checked for alignment and balanced. It is important in reinstalling the drive shaft that the connecting parts be installed in their original position. Mark the position of the drive shaft and connections when they are disassembled to assure proper reassembly.

Ok, thanks to all for the input.

Since there is no tribal knowledge of an alternative fix, I am going with modern transplants.

Kind of late, but here are the ends

And 2

Paul,

You are a veritable fount of knowledge!

Peter

If you don’t want to cut up the original driveshaft, Cislak has a bunch of them in the shop. You may even be able to get a shaft from a 147 inch car, just cut it down and weld it, and still be all Pierce Arrow…….just a thought. PS if you do upgrade yours, use a one ton truck joint, with USA made parts, not china junk. Ed

I have a ’35 shaft. I was going to see how easy it is to swap. I have the trans and diff yokes along with the shaft. May need to change the length.

I appreciate the 1 ton truck and China input. You need to be careful.

I was working with probably the largest independent drive shaft manufacturer in the US. They were in the process of sourcing some of their steel parts to China.

I recommend verifying country of origin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.