’32 Model 54 Ride Control Shocks

Home Page Forums Chassis ’32 Model 54 Ride Control Shocks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

One of my shocks is pouring shock oil out of the bottom at the lever for the ride control. Before I tear it apart has anyone replaced the seal on the lever? What kind of seal is it?

Thanks,

Bill

I have on my lever shocks on my 863-A. It may or may not be the same but I suspect they are the same (Delco Lovejoy)). The original is a leather seal. I purchased several replacement seals on eBay or they can be bought at your auto supplier. I don’t have the number right now but I think I have an extra seal on hand. Getting the lever off is a real chore. I made several tools to accomplish rebuilding my shocks. pressing the lever off took 20 tons plus heat.

Bill I could replace the seal for you I you like.

just let me know.

Cal Dyke

Cal,

This is not the main shaft seal where the long arm attaches. On the ’32 ride control shocks there is a small lever that connects to a cable that runs up to the dashboard control lever. You move the dash lever to change the ride characteristics. It’s unique to ’32 and was unsuccessful as far as I know.

It’s the small lever that I’m asking about.

Bill

My’35 has Lovejoy shocks that still have the adjustment valve on the bottom, it is manually adjustable on the shock but didn’t have the levers and hookups to do it remotely from the dash. I have the same problem, the seal around the adjustment shaft weeps on two of them. Apple hydraulics quoted $80.00 each to rebuild (just the adjustment valve seal).

It appears the same shock was used in some Cadillac’s and a cross-section appears in the 1948 MoTorS manual.

I also had a cracked crush washer on one that was causing a leak. I couldn’t find an exact match for that crush washer and am hoping Apple has them.

Jim

Here is a picture of one of my ride control valves and an intact crush washer. I sent the leakers to Apple, we’ll see how that works out.

Thanks, Jim!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.