’29 Tie Rod Ends

Home Page Forums Chassis ’29 Tie Rod Ends

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have been searching for replacements for the worn tie rod ends on my 29. After reading in the service bulletins about needing to jerry rig some after market parts to make work and after perusing my local auto parts Moog catalog to find something that I could make work; I decided to check with Northwestern Auto Supply in Grand Rapids, MI. I sent them off an email in their parts inquiry page and the next day I got a reply back that they had the parts I needed. Picked them up today. They are direct replacement tie rod ends (Moog # 174L and 174R).
    Northwestern Auto Supply has three warehouses of NOS and OEM chassis and engine parts. Worth checking out if you are searching for something.

http://www.northwesternautosupply.com

Well I got egg on my face. I just went out to the shop to try the tie rod ends and they are not correct. My tie rod is 7/8" DIA. The tie rod ends I picked up today are for a tie rod that is 1" DIA. I will call Northwestern tomorrow to see what they say. I will let you know how this all works out.

Cal,

My detailed post of more than a year ago on 1930 and 1934 tie rod ends is no longer on the message board. If you have the non-take-apart ends that began in 1929 (some had the earlier take-apart style), you need ES-6 which will fit 1" tie rods with male threads. My post was also reprinted in a Service Bulletin sometime in 2006 or 2007.

I’m about to go out of town on business for a couple of days so I don’t have time to look it up now, but can when I return if someone doesn’t answer in the meantime.

George

Thanks George. I bought the 1" ends back to Northwestern Auto and they did find two new ends that had the correct size and thread (7/8-14). That is a real odd pitch for threads on a tie rod. Most are 16 or 18 TPI. My tie rod ends were the early take-a-part type that is evidently different than the later ones that you referred to (1"). The number on my new 7/8 tie rod ends are TP24. Anyway so that is one more item that is taken care of as ready my PA for touring.
    I am continually amazed at the inventory that Northwestern Auto Supply has. It might be worth while for members to check with them for possible solutions to hard to find parts.

You are right about Northwestern!
    Sam Ashendorf at Northwestern is seldom cheap, but always reasonable, fair, and honest as the day is long. He and his employees Gene and Lenny are very knowledgeable and their store is like a big step back in time!
    If you call them, please make sure that you have complete information ready as they sometimes get frustrated handling many dozens of calls each day from people who don’t.
    They also do machine work and component rebuilding for those of us in the area.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.