27 series 80 brake removal and reinstallation

Home Page Forums Chassis 27 series 80 brake removal and reinstallation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I am in the process of relining my brakes (front and rear) since they currently have modern linings that are too hard.  I have removed the front right drum and the inspection panels but do not see a way to remove the shoes?  I have turned the adjusting screws all the way in but that does not provide much in loosing up the shoes.  What are the next steps?  Do I have to remove the springs?  What about the reinstallation?  Any help will be appreciated,

Rod Smith

Reno NV

Rod,

Do you have the Series 80, Care and Operation Manual?

The general information should be in it.

I’ll look in the morning, but by then five other Series 80 Gents will likely have advised you.

Peter

Rod,

Did you have any success?

You may need to remove the Backing Plates (two-per-Front-wheel) and that will give you access to the backside of the break assembly.

If doing that does not help, you may also wish to reach out for assistance to PAS Members; Greg Long or George Teebay.

Peter

Well, I finally got the shoes off with a lot of bruit force and they are now at the brake shop getting the proper lining.  Now I have to think about reinstalling them!  Any hints about installing the springs would be greatly received.  I plan to repack the bearings and replace the grease seals.  I took the information I found in the parts and service list to NAPA today and they could not cross reference the listed seals.  Does anyone have a modern listing for the seals, both front and rear wheels?  As a last resort, I will see what I can find by taking the spindle measurements.  Again, thanks for any help you can provide,

Rod Smith

Reno NV

Rod,

See if this helps

CR Seal Finder (skfextranet.com)

Good luck

Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.