1970’s lacquer paint

Home Page Forums What did you do with your P-A today? 1970’s lacquer paint

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

My Model C was last painted in the 1970’s. Since then the black lacquer has cracked just about everywhere. Starting about 6 years ago I have made it a winter project to freshen one fender at a time. This weekend was RF Fenders turn for some new paint. The 70’s restorer had used red nitrastain as a filler. Everywhere it was used, patches of cracks have developed. I am happy to say this is the LAST fender needing done. So off the car, stripped, blasted and ready for refinishing. That was enough fun for one day!

rf

rf2

rf3

Looks like a very clean fender to work with, nice!

Jim,

I found body filler used about one foot up from the rear edge, in a 2 inch by 4 inch spot, just above the outer rolled edge. They pounded out a dent in this location and left it looking like an orange peel. They must only had a pick hammer and no dolly! The rest of the fender is straight. I will continue to document the results.

I remember painting (or helping paint) my 1931 Chevrolet with lacquer in 1965.  The painter would spray 3 coats, then we’d sand the whole car, then 3 more, then sand….did this 5 times!  Also, we were doing it in the open in an old warehouse, one of the advantages of lacquer, it dries almost immediately.

What are you going back with, single stage enamel?  That’s a great approach to fixing, by the way, one fender a year….so the car stays more or less intact while working on it…  David Coco Winchester Va.

Big dent
    The only dent.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.