1934 Grille Shell paint

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi,

Does anyone out there own an original (never repainted) 1934 840A, 1240A or 1248A grille shell (on or off a car)?

I would like to see the exact paint/chrome boundary line configuration (masked, abrupt edge or feathered, etc.)

Sharp close-up photos would be perfect!

Thanks,

Bob

1934 was a fully chromed shell.  1935 was a painted shell except for a chrome ridge around the border of the grill.

When  I restored a 35 coupe, I couldn’t bear to paint the beautiful chrome on shell. I think that might be a reason one sees 1935 cars with all chrome shells.

Of course, the old caveat, to sell a car the factory or dealer would do it any way you wished, as long as greenbacks flowed…

I wish I had an answer, maybe someone out there does. I did mine a few months ago and have a definite ridge where the paint meets the chrome. I don’t know how that could be avoided, perhaps minimized by keeping the paint very thin near the edge.

Could possibly clear coat over the chrome but doesn’t seem like a good solution and of course wasn’t done that way originally.

Mine was stripped and chromed decades ago but it had enough surface rust that I only had it ground and polished where the chrome shows.

As you know, having the whole shell chromed was a factory option. I think the standard painted shell was done to accentuate the length of the hood and avoid breaking up the lines with vertical surfaces.

I was surprised to learn in the Pierce literature that painted shutters were actually the baseline standard and chromed shutters were a $25 option. Since very few ’35’s seem to have had painted shutters, I speculate that they were usually chromed and used as a sales sweetner, “I’ll throw in the optional chrome shutters for free!” Sort of like the heater “option” in later years.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.