1933 836 Coupe ex Dee Howard on the block

Home Page Forums Buy/Sell 1933 836 Coupe ex Dee Howard on the block

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

The yellow 1933 836 Coupe with V-12 engine will go on the auction block in May

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-327273/1933-pierce-arrow-model-836-sport-coupe/

It’ll be fun to watch this result.

Bill

http://https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0518-327273/1933-pierce-arrow-model-836-sport-coupe/

Dear Bill,

Funny I just saw this car while surfing the web today. That is a VERY YELLOW car! It is hard to miss!

Robert

Saw it at the last meet…if you look for Pierce ads for 1933, you’ll see the inspiration for the all yellow car. Seagrave engine but a wonderful car and would be a lot of fun to own!

That is a lot of yellow all in one place.

Auction lists the interior color as tan, interior is as yellow as the outside.

Great body style and great lines but the color is too much of a good thing for my taste.

Did this car sell at auction?

Robert

I think the auction is not this coming, but the next weekend, 18/19th of May…

I just checked, this very YELLOW Pierce went for a very GREEN $200,750!

Robert

I just checked it too, seller should be very happy. I didn’t think it’d go that high…but I gave up guessing long ago!

No accounting for individual taste. I was shocked by the color when I first saw it 18 years ago. On the other hand, it WILL get attention…

“That Very Yellow Pierce-Arrow just needs very black fenders, very black side-mounts and a very black trunk to bring it to perfection.”

That would make it a very large bumble bee! ;)

The later Pierce Arrow styling does not look very good with different fender/body colors. Slight shades of the same color look ‘ok’.

The best looking later body styles have the belt line and wheel striping in appropriate contrasting colors.

There are a couple of cars within the PAS membership that have the ‘older’ black-fender / different body color scheme, and to me they look like the ’30’s car is trying to ‘look like’ it’s a ’20’s vintage car.

Different Tastes for Different Folks.. and ‘Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder’..

The rather ‘bright’ yellow of the ex-Dee Howard 836 is not a huge turn off when seen in person. This car was at Meadowbrook in August 1994. The car is featured on the Concours’ event poster. The artist’s version of the car for the poster has the color just slightly subdued.

My biggest ‘issue’ with the car is the v12 engine in an 8cyl car. But, that too is a personal preference..

Greg Long

Now, the obvious question, who bought the car? Hope they’re a member of the PAS, and if they’re reading this, it really is quite a car! Congrats! We’re just expressing our dismay at the monochrome color scheme!

My father had a friend that used to say, regardless of what doting parents said or thought, most all babies were ugly, red and wrinkled skin and scowling. So, he would walk up and say “Now, THAT’S a BABY!”

Now, THAT’S a PIERCE!

I’ve got the bumble bee!

Bill

David, I agree with your comments, the car has gorgeous lines and presents itself well.

The color just needs a little ‘adjustment’ is all.

The 836/1236’s front design is one of the all time automotive greats! Pierce-Arrow’s advertising agency certainly new what the “money shot” was. Only wish LeBaron, Rollston or the like had created a beautiful one-off body to match it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.