1929 rear axle nut

Home Page Forums Chassis 1929 rear axle nut

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I purchased new nuts for both rear axles as existing was very wrong. What I bought was billed as “trailer axle nut”. Of course they fit fine, but I question the steel quality. Who knows? Where should I be buying my nuts? Or just move on…….

I would say that ANY 2018 steel will be better than 1929 Steel. What size is the nut? Height? Threads?

One inch x 14 thread. One half inch thick, but half is castled for the cotter pin.

Jack,

If you have the thread space, you could always double them up / have one thin-non-castle nut with the castle nut on the top.

I searched online for castle nuts / lock nuts (with cotter pins) and there are various options, but Bill is correct about current metallurgy vs. 1920s metallurgy.

Finally, what is wrong with the original nuts?

Peter

Jack,

BTW, the cotter pin locks the nut in place and there is not a huge amount of torque / stress on the nut, per-se.

Use good quality steel (stainless?) cotter pins.

Peter

The nuts I found were low profile hex nuts that just exposed the axle hole. The safety was a finishing nail bent to stay in place. The tapers weren’t seated but after cleaning well the tapers seat tight and require the puller to loosen. I’ll use these castle nuts and stop worrying. Thank you

Jack,

Another thing to consider is once you have the axle taper seated, it takes tremendous force to unseat it.

Bill

Yes, I have the requisite puller. It was just yesterday that I torqued the nuts, pinned them , and installed the hubcaps. Out of sight……out of mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.