1927 Series 80 Coach Side Window Channels

Home Page Forums Body 1927 Series 80 Coach Side Window Channels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

In anticipation of a future project, I need to know more about replacing the side window channels in the Series 80 coach. I hesitate to start taking it apart without knowing more about how to finish the job.

Randy,

I believe that is a very difficult job.

I considered it a few years back on my Series 80, 7-Passenger DeLuxe Sedan, and then changed my mind after understanding the complexity associated with R&R including adding new Felt in the channel.

Lots of Tiny Screws hold each channel in place, EESCH!

Do you really want to take the doors apart to access the full length of the channel?

Maybe You Do!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi, Peter, I believe it is as you say: an involved job. One day, though, it will be necessary. I am considering paint and a new top.

I have just replaced them on my ’35. A problem was that I couldn’t find exact replacements for the channels and most of my originals were in bad shape and not salveagable. The available window channels are either too tall and stick into the window opening or are rubber covered rather than bright stainless on the edge. If you can get a decent inside measurement you can see what might be out there, primarily at Restoration Specialties and Macs Ford.

Mine were screwed to the wood framing with #4 wood screws with slotted heads filled with detritus. I got some out with a screwdriver, but definitely not all.

An alternative if the channels themselves are okay is dig out the felt and replace. I did this on my Jaguar several years ago as the felt was available by itself to reline the channels. I haven’t run into that elsewhere, but you might look at the Moss Motors XKSUnlimited site.

Haven’t dealt with a ’20’s car, but I think they were pre safety glass. Does that make them thinner with narrower channels (less than 1/4 inch)?

I found a vendor with good detail information on their web page: J&J Auto trim in California. They offer multiple window channel types and most seem to be 5/8 inch wide. I need to check my car more closely, to see if I can find something that will work. At the same time, I have to try not to destroy what I have in the process; there’s the trick!

Probably a good idea to go back with safety glass if you can. There is a reason it has been a requirement in new cars for more than 60 years that I know of. This was one of the earliest mandated changes for new cars and for good reason. There are some clubs that even require it as an updated safety measure before judging. If you do make the upgrade, ensure that the “safety glass” etch is visible after installation, to prove it has been changed. In a crash, the old style glass splinter into swords that will slice and dice all the occupants in the car.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.