1920’s Pierce gas regulator

Home Page Forums Engine 1920’s Pierce gas regulator

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi- can someone tell me what the purpose, and if possible a photo, of the "gas regulator", part #75331, which was used on late teens/early 20’s Pierce cars? Also, do they have an adjustment knob of some kind, and what does it look like? I have some documentation regarding their fabrication which I am trying to sort through, and would like to know what they are. Thanks David Coco

Hi Dave,

Go to the "Feature Archive" of this site and scroll down to the "1922 Series 33 Owner’s and Driver’s Report". In the article there is a photo of the dash showing the gas regulator which is the knob with the arrow on it located second from the left on the bottom. It’s purpose is to permit the driver to fine tune the carburator mixture while underway. You can see the knob identified on p. 32 of the parts manual but the rest of the assembly is not detailed there. If you plan to be in Lexington, I’ll have my car there and you can see the whole assembly. The knob runs a wire to the part on the caruretor identified as "U" in Fig. 1 on p.3 of the 1977 PAS Service Bulletin Issue #6. Hope this helps.

Dave: Of course one of the functions of the regulator is to make it possible to run more efficiently, so one doesn’t run out of gas as I did with my 1930 sedan at the Kalamazoo meet. Fortuantely, you came along and shared the gas from the can in your trunk to get me back to the hotel. Thanks again!

Hi- I remember! I never have repaired the gas guage on my 31 phaeton, so ALWAYS carry extra gas. And it gets poor mileage, so one always is a poor guesser on how much is in the tank.
    Thanks for info on gas regulator, that helps. I have papers from both Pierce and the machine shop that made these for Pierce; interesting reading, as apparently they ordered a lot of them, and then kept cutting the order (optimistic on sales perhaps?). There is also discussion of the tooling and mold used for the pieces. Interesting stuff. Thanks again! David Coco

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.