1603 Sidemount tire sizes

Home Page Forums Body 1603 Sidemount tire sizes

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Recently had the same kind of surprise when putting a new set of tires on my 1933 1236. I ordered 6 Goodrich Silvertown 7.50 x 17s from Coker, only to find out after taking the spare tire covers off that the spares were actually 7.00 X 17s. Coker gracefully let me return two of the 7.50s, and let me exchange them for Firestone 7.00 x 17, which they had in stock. They did not have the 7.00 x 17 Goodrich Silvertowns. The spares that were on the car appeared to be never used, but they appeared to be ancient. I was wary of having to drive home from Indiana next month on one of those tires in case I had tire problems. I had never heard of Gillette tires before!

Gents,

If I use that Tire Slime, or any other tire sealer, I would first jack up the entire car, put it on jack stands, insert the SLIME and then run the car IN GEAR and spin the rear wheels.

That should adequately distribute the SLIME.

Thoughts on that?

Peter

Greg’s recollection is, shall I say, more “vivid” than mine of our flat in the Mojave Desert returning from the 2009 Temecula Meet on less-than-1000 miles Bedford tires with thin off-shore tubes also supplied by Lucas. That night we stayed in Bakersfield, home base of Buck Owens, as scheduled and found a tire shop first thing the following morning. The most critical info for all here is that the repro tube let go on its bonded seam. We replaced that tube with a 16″ light truck tube (what else are ya gonna find in Bakersfield on a Saturday?) which works well due to the drop center P-A wheels. That same day, a DIFFERENT new tire (had been the spare, same position: right rear) let go at 58-60 mph in 86*F weather south of San Jose on US 101. Since that was only 50 miles from home we continued without a spare (a 5-wheel car). The second tube also failed on the bonded seam. I subsequently replaced ALL the repro tubes with 16″ light truck tubes and have had no problems in 10K miles other than one flat caused by a LARGE screw through the tread.

I LOVE Bedford 17″ and 18″ tires. My 1930 roadster had Bedford 18″ blackwalls on it when I acquired it in 2002, and their tread wear is minimal–same longevity on the Bedford 17″ WSW on the SA which sees more miles. Greg and I were both impressed by how well the two Bedfords held up from flats-at-speed on hot days; those tires are still in service. Bedfords ARE large, and one needs to use Lesters and/or drop one or more sizes for fender-mounted spares. They can also be a bit noisy. The diamond tread pattern and pie-crust sidewall edges are period-correct.

I agree with Greg on the BFG repro 600x22s on Series 80s–mine are still wearing well >20 years later with no signs of age.

Gents,

Apropos of my comment above about running the SLIME around in the tubes, DUH, I could always JUST DRIVE THE CAR!

That is easier than jacking it up and inserting jack stands!

HA, HA!

Peter

Gents,

Coker Tire doesn’t sell any tubes for 600Xs22 except NOS tubes that they indicate are for DISPLAY ONLY!

Below, I show the link.

Peter

http:////www.cokertire.com/lg-combo-33-35x5-brass-stem-90200-tube.html

I wonder what that means “Display Only” ?

My guess is that’s lawyer talk.

They are probably just older tubes which are beyond the recommended life and therefore Coker does not want any liability if someone gets a blow out and goes running back claiming that Coker sold them out-of-date tubes.

If it were me, I think I’d be inclined to give them a try IF they are old enough to be the thicker, better quality tubes than we get today. Or, at least, call someone at Coker and ask what are the reasons why they are “Display Only”. If they are “blemished” or have thin spots or nicks, that’s entirely different than simply being old.

I still prefer the truck-tube approach, the Michelin approach, and even the Slime approach. The Slime troubles me, though, because the chances of coating every square inch inside the tube are slim, it seems to me. Most of the Slime will go to the outer periphery and not coat the inner periphery, I’d think.

— Luke

Luke,

I’ll be trying the SLIME approach in the next week.

Also, how about posting the Michelin and Light Truck tube numbers and where to get them?

I’ve gone to two big rig shops and neither deal with truck tire tubes.

I also have my Tire Guy working on locating the tubes.

I just want to know the sourcing as the availability seems to be getting lean.

Peter

Firestone / Bridgestone Tube makes light truck inner tubes in Russellville, Arkansas, USA!

Their p/n 534-099 which is a light-duty truck 7.00R7.50R16LT tube with a TR-15-CW valve stem is listed on page 14 of the attached catalog link.

However, Firestone does not sell direct; last Summer, their customer service department referred me to one of their dealers who was very helpful in expediting my order:

GCR Tire, Ashtabula, Ohio, (440) 992-4406, I spoke with the manager Shawn Herron who quickly processed my order for one box of 10 tubes (this is Firestone’s minimum order qty.) p/n 534-099.

Total (again, this was last Summer) with Ohio sales tax was $224.18 and that included shipping for this drop-ship order coming directly from Firestone in Russellville, AR.

http://firestonetubes.com/images/pdf/catalog.pdf

I’m sorry that I can’t provide any sourcing information for the Michelin tubes. As I posted, that recommendation came to me second hand. All I would do is a Google search, but it will probably depend on your tire size.

Peter and I both have Series 80’s, so if I can find the right size in a Michelin tube, I will share with Peter as well as everyone else.

I’ll see what I can do. . . . Or if anyone else can, please do share !

— Luke

Gents,

The Coker Tire guy states that their 32-35 X 4.5/5 Tube / Center Brass Stem / NOS, is just that, an NOS tube that is A Number of Years Old (4-years +).

Their Stock # for that tube is: 87525, and the Stock # for its replacement is: 87526.

Even though the Manufacturer is named Hartford (a US company), the tubes are produced in the Pacific Rim.

Peter

I have to take back my criticisms of the Firestone 7:00-17 tires steering. I just completed an 800 mile tour with them and they behaved just fine – no more tramping than the Lesters. I guess I was overly sensitive on the first drive as it was done on I-80 which has fairly deep ruts from all the truck traffic and no bias ply tire does well in that scenario.

—and the tubes were the 700R750R16LT truck tire tubes mentioned above.

Jim

Thanks for the information, Peter.

Four years old or even ten doesn’t help us much. This problem has been around for quite some time. And if the tubes are made somewhere in “The Pacific Rim”, well. . . .

Using the name “Hartford” is typical of these third-world countries calling their products by American names in attempt to fool us into thinking they are made in the USA. Pittsburgh tools, if I recall correctly, are made in China.

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.